What is the purpose of getting ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 12chickenlover3, Feb 7, 2013.

1. 12chickenlover3

12chickenlover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    I was thinking about some ducks this year when I get chicks. But I was wondering........ what is their purpose? Please awnser and give me suggestions on a home for them!

Thanks!!! Nicole[​IMG]

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Very different creatures. If you have the space, ducks are wonderful. They lay eggs and are good for meat as well as chickens. They do not roost, and are easy prey for predators, as are chickens.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is difficult to feel blue around ducks. They are therapeutic.

And

They forage, eating slugs, bugs and weeds
    Make A-1 grade fertilizer
    Lay delicious eggs

Did I mention they are therapeutic?

[​IMG]

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ours are for pest control and eggs. Mine are a dual purpose(Muscovy) so you could use them as meat if you wish(we do not) Our ducks being a larger breed is less prone to air predators and are excellent foragers.

Ducks are messier than chickens though, water is the main cause of this they have to have it, and it must be deep enough to clean the nares. A kiddy pool however is fine for bathing/cleaning.

An unusual trait of my breed is the do in fact roost like chickens they are also(mainly the ducks) excellent fliers. Breed wise depends on what you want, some are better meat birds, some are better layers, better brooders, better foragers and so forth.

Housing wise, same basic idea as chickens somewhere to keep them safe from predators and the bad weather.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Why does a wood chuck chuck wood?
    Why does a beaver give a dam?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    On a more serious note guess which of these egg types is Pekin and which is Orpington:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by