1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the red inside of my egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crzychicken, Oct 28, 2008.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Hi I got my 1st egg yesterday [​IMG] and someone on BYC suggested I keep the egg shell, so we put a hole in each end and drain it out. It had a red and yellow yolk is that normal on the 1st egg or is there something wrong with my pullet? [​IMG]

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm...

Was it RED or like a rich orange?

Maybe it's because its a new pullet. But I don't know because I throw away first eggs... lol.

3. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Just took another look it looks dark orange/redish

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Eggs can sometimes have a blood spot in them, perfectly normal, and since you blew yours out it may have mixed with the yolk, causing the red appearance.
    In addition, you'll find the yolks on backyard chicken eggs to be much oranger/redder than the pale, anemic-looking ones from the grocery store.

5. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Thank you for the reply, I just found my 2nd egg [​IMG] I can't wait to eat this one it's the same size but the shell is lighter in color could it be from another pullet ?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes it could be you have a second hen laying or it could be from the first hen and she just doesn't have her "egg painting booth" running correctly yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by