1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What is the smallest goose available?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AliciaM, Aug 19, 2010.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Im thinking of getting a pair of geese, but Id like to keep them kinda small.. Is there any particular breed that doesnt get to big and are reasonably friendly? That will get along with chickens and call ducks and my 5 yr old daughter??

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Oregon mini geese?

3. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Chinese geese are the smallest breed I know of, maybe ten pounds at the fattest. I know of the Oregon mini's but don't know the size relative to the Chinese.

Chinese are the loudest geese (so I've heard) with the most vocalization, but they are also known to be the best "pet" geese in terms of temperament and getting along with others.

Whatever kind you get, make sure that they are raised with lots of exposure to the other birds, even direct exposure once they are old enough to go outside. And have you daughter handle and cuddle and "play" with the geese as much as she wants so they will imprint on her. The only thing about children and geese is that children might hold a gosling too tightly around the ribs and accidentally suffocate them, but other than that, they need lots of contact from her and you every day for them to stay friendly.

A goose that is "used" to you, ie, sees you every day, but doesn't bond with you, can become aggressive later. The ganders, mostly. They are familiar and therefore not afraid of you. My poor adult daughter discovered this with my gander Petey Peters.

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Chinese.... I love the white.

5. AliciaM

AliciaM Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    If I got only one gosling, a female, would it be ok? or should I get a pair??

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    You have to remember, they're flock animals, so a pair would probably be best. Not necessarily a male and a female, two females would fare just fine. IMO.

7. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Egyptian and Cackler geese are smaller than the Chinese. I've never dealt with the Cacklers, but have only seen them at swaps. They look almost like a miniature Canadian. The Egyptians that I have seen are all beautifull but very aggressive especially during mating season.

8. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    This is what Holderreads catalog says.

Oregon Mini Geese (Sold only as adults)
    The Oregon Minis were developed here at Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation
    Center and are the smallest domestic true geese we know of. When in good condition (but not
    fat) typical weights are 6-8 pounds, with the smallest individuals so far weighing 4-5 pounds.
    We consider small stature more important than weight because weight of individuals can vary
    by 50% depending on time of year, diet and level of exercise. Our selection emphasis is on
    hardiness, conformation and small size; color is of secondary consideration. Currently, we
    are breeding them in three auto-sexing varieties (Pilgrim, Belted, and Saddleback) and five
    non-auto-sexing colors (White, Splashed, Belted, Saddleback and Gray). Extremely quick
    to mature, goslings feather out at a younger age than other breeds. When fully mature,
    females typically lay 6-10 eggs prior to commencing incubation. We’ve had pairs hatch two
    clutches some years.

9. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    shetland, cotton patch, roman or egyptian are pretty small

10. banter

banter Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Oregon Mini geese are 8-10 lbs. I have one that is only six pounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by