What is the specific reason roosters are not allowed?

I have a strong opinion on this. I don't see how ANYONE can complain about noise, when they have houses just feet away from other peoples houses. In my opinion, if you don't want noise, don't live in the city or suburbs, not the other way around...Humans have been living with a rooster crowing for thousands of years... you can deal with it. And if not... put ear plugs of muffs when you go to sleep. You shouldn't be able to dictate whether people can or cannot own a rooster as long as they take good care of their animal.

People just want the best of all worlds for themselves instead of learning to respect other peoples rights.

I have a strong opinion on this. I don't see how ANYONE can complain about noise, when they have houses just feet away from other peoples houses. In my opinion, if you don't want noise, don't live in the city or suburbs, not the other way around...Humans have been living with a rooster crowing for thousands of years... you can deal with it. And if not... put ear plugs of muffs when you go to sleep. You shouldn't be able to dictate whether people can or cannot own a rooster as long as they take good care of their animal. People just want the best of all worlds for themselves instead of learning to respect other peoples rights.

I appreciate that you have a strong opinion on this, but unfortunately your opinion is not in line with city ordinances. Apparently people can dictate what other people can and cannot do/have/hear. People don't want to hear barking dogs all day and all night; crowing roosters fall into that same category. Owning a rooster is not a right.

I appreciate that you have a strong opinion on this, but unfortunately your opinion is not in line with city ordinances. Apparently people can dictate what other people can and cannot do/have/hear. People don't want to hear barking dogs all day and all night; crowing roosters fall into that same category. Owning a rooster is not a right.
I wonder if I somehow mislead you to think I don't know that already. I am pretty sure I said "should" and "opinion" for a reason :hmm

And in my interpretation, I think people do have a right to property... especially livestock. What was it? John Locke? Life, Liberty, and Property. As long as their is no animal abuse going on. You don't really have a right to no noise.... in my view, especially natural noise.

I don't even have chickens, but I am interested in getting them in the future.

Last edited:
I wonder if I somehow mislead you to think I don't know that already. I am pretty sure I said "should" and "opinion" for a reason :hmm And in my interpretation, I think people do have a right to property... especially livestock. What was it? John Locke? Life, Liberty, and Property. As long as their is no animal abuse going on. You don't really have a right to no noise.... in my view, especially natural noise. I don't even have chickens, but I am interested in getting them in the future.

It's called living in a society. People do not have a right to do whatever they want while disregarding their neighbors' rights. If you ever get chickens, I hope you'll be living in an area that allows them and allows roosters...for your neighbors' sakes.

It's called living in a society. People do not have a right to do whatever they want while disregarding their neighbors' rights. If you ever get chickens, I hope you'll be living in an area that allows them and allows roosters...for your neighbors' sakes.
Like I said... neighbors don't have "No noise" rights. If that was the case, people could sue a train station for being too loud(even though they live right next to one). Or cars driving by being too loud... you don't have a "right" to no noise. You can choose to live in a non-noisy area. I think current laws violate people rights.

What you shouldn't be able to do is to take away someone else's property based on your noise preference. They have an actual right to their property. That is an actual right....

Like I said... neighbors don't have "No noise" rights. If that was the case, people could sue a train station for being too loud(even though they live right next to one). Or cars driving by being too loud... you don't have a "right" to no noise. You can choose to live in a non-noisy area. I think current laws violate people rights. What you shouldn't be able to do is to take away someone else's property based on your noise preference. They have an actual right to their property. That is an actual right....

People do sue over noise for trains, traffic, airplanes, industry, et al. Even if "no noise" isn't a right, it is on the lawbooks for specific things. That's why there are noise abatement measures put in place. People don't have the right to do whatever they want on their property and expect their neighbor's to put up with it. If my neighbor started blasting music so loud it interfered with my enjoyment of my property, I wouldn't sit back and be content that he has the right to make that much noise.

I'm done with this conversation and sorry I even involved myself in it. All I can say is, I am so glad you are not my neighbor.

I think noise falls under the same guidelines as smell, and in either case once it becomes a health issue (that includes psychological), your neighbors have the right to complain and perhaps sue. Different areas are zoned for a reason. Neighborhoods/developments exist for a reason. We have options to live in the country, or to live in apartment over a restaurant in the middle of down town. With that decision come the privileges and limitations associated with living there, and in all cases there is compromise. I live in the country where I do not have a neighbor in direct sight and I can have my animals and shoot guns and burn what I want. In exchange I drive 17 miles just to get groceries and have to put up with the occasional chicken manure smell on the farm fields and the sound of tractors and hunters. If you live in a neighborhood, especially the type I grew up in where you can see into your neighbors kitchen from the bedroom and that sort of thing, then you have certain obligations to those that surround you, just like they do to you.

People do sue over noise for trains, traffic, airplanes, industry, et al. Even if "no noise" isn't a right, it is on the lawbooks for specific things. That's why there are noise abatement measures put in place. People don't have the right to do whatever they want on their property and expect their neighbor's to put up with it. If my neighbor started blasting music so loud it interfered with my enjoyment of my property, I wouldn't sit back and be content that he has the right to make that much noise.

I'm done with this conversation and sorry I even involved myself in it. All I can say is, I am so glad you are not my neighbor.
I think there is a difference between natural noise and human made noise that can be turned on and off at will.
We obviously have a philosophical difference. There are countries and islands where roosters are all over the place in close quarters and people don't care and can't do anything about it, because 1. the population is used to it 2. they recognize individual rights in terms of livestock. This reveals that noise is not a rights issue, it's personal convenience issue... while being able to own a rooster or not IS actually a rights issue. You may be one of those that like to sacrifice liberty for your own personal convenience, but I'm not one of those.

I think noise falls under the same guidelines as smell, and in either case once it becomes a health issue (that includes psychological), your neighbors have the right to complain and perhaps sue. Different areas are zoned for a reason. Neighborhoods/developments exist for a reason. We have options to live in the country, or to live in apartment over a restaurant in the middle of down town. With that decision come the privileges and limitations associated with living there, and in all cases there is compromise. I live in the country where I do not have a neighbor in direct sight and I can have my animals and shoot guns and burn what I want. In exchange I drive 17 miles just to get groceries and have to put up with the occasional chicken manure smell on the farm fields and the sound of tractors and hunters. If you live in a neighborhood, especially the type I grew up in where you can see into your neighbors kitchen from the bedroom and that sort of thing, then you have certain obligations to those that surround you, just like they do to you.
See, in my opinion... you have it backwards... if you want peace and quiet... move out to the country... don't be in the city. In my view, it is unreasonable to expect peace and quite when you live in close quarters with other people. That is the pursuit of happiness...you can pursue whatever environment that fits you best.

But when you start restrict peoples right to property(livestock in this case)... that's infringing on your natural right to property.

I do think there is a case for human made machines where you can control noise levels and such at will. This is a more reasonable restriction to me, but then again, it isn't a total ban of loud music... it has a curfew.

I don't even have chickens or plan to have a rooster...but I am not a fan of people bulling others unreasonably and violating their right to property because they can't tolerate living in the city....

Last edited:
See, in my opinion... you have it backwards... if you want peace and quiet... move out to the country... don't be in the city. In my view, it is unreasonable to expect peace and quite when you live in close quarters with other people. That is the pursuit of happiness...you can pursue whatever environment that fits you best.

But when you start restrict peoples right to property(livestock in this case)... that's infringing on your natural right to property.

I do think there is a case for human made machines where you can control noise levels and such at will. This is a more reasonable restriction to me, but then again, it isn't a total ban of loud music... it has a curfew.

I don't even have chickens or plan to have a rooster...but I am not a fan of people bulling others unreasonably and violating their right to property because they can't tolerate living in the city....

Living in the city comes with a reasonable expectation of additional noise from humans, but not, for example the mooing of cattle and the smell of manure. The country is quieter, in a sense, but not always, because you will still hear tractors and farm equipment and livestock and smell livestock and manure being spread, and hear hunting if that is in the area, and hear all of the wildlife including foxes barking outside your window at 3 am and such. And for whatever reason people think country roads are Nascar trials so you will have to deal with that as well. But like I said, that is to be expected, and human noise is expected in the city, and it is also expected in the city that since that noise is human induced that it can be altered/modified/regulated and thus you don't have to worry about being woken up at 3 am by disagreeable noises if you choose your house and neighbor carefully. Someone could very well decide to weed eat every morning at 430, you are right. However, cities, communities, etc are designed to function for the good of the society, not the individual and in a sense you can look at it like being in a marriage, which some of us take to better than others. Me, I'm not so good at it and the compromise and all that but for others the give and take and sharing of "life" are enjoyable rather than a burden. If someone's dogs come into your yard and bite your child or kill are your chickens, are you going to say its okay because they had the right to not pen up their animals?

Back
Top Bottom