what is the square footage for......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrackenFarms, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    A tractor that will have standards and will be moved every morning to lush turf... i would like to put the MOST in the LEAST amount of space. (wouldnt we all)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    4X4... 4 hens.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are intending to *keep* it lush turf, you may not be able to keep as many in there as you are hoping. And it will still leave a conspicuous set of 'footprints' across the lawn behind the tractor, a couple weeks' worth til the grass regrows.

I have a 4x7 tractor (with additional 2.5x4' 'upstairs'). With just 2-3 sexlink hens in it, I still had to move it every single day to keep the effect on the grass to a manageable level. Even in just one day, it'd get eaten down pretty good, and if it was left there for 2 days there would be not much grass left and a whole lot of dirt. Even moved daily, they made bare dusting-holes here and there in the lawn, rather to the annoyance of my lawnmower-wielding husband. This is a pretty healthy and good-growing lawn, though it is not a golf-course-like monoculture.

I would suggest trying to put the *happiest* in the *most convenient* amount of space, rather than the most in the least, and not getting too ambitious.

And think about what you'll do come wintertime.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by