What is the squat I keep reading about?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicksR4Me, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I keep reading about chickens doing the squat... I already have some chickens laying for about a year now and I feel kinda dumb that I don't know what the squat looks like. [​IMG] I have 5 EE that are 22 weeks old and 3 of them have a really red comb and face... I heard that is a sign. Now I want to look for the squat. But I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. Also my DB thinks if we let the rooster get to them it might speed up the process and get them laying but I don't think that will do any good. Ok so back to my original question. Can anyone explain to me what the "squat" looks like? Thanks
    Here is a picture of one of my pretty girls.
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They get close to the ground, and spread their wings out so they can get mounted.

Doesn't sound right, but it's EXACTLY what they do.

3. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Huh...thanks...I wondered too.

4. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    ooohhhh My! I get it now. Will they do that even if there is no rooster in with them? I have a rooster I could put in with them if that would get them laying sooner. Maybe DB was right?

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Mine get close to the ground, spread their wings slightly away from their bodies and do this little foot stamping thing with their heads lowered. It's very characteristic and when you see it for the first time you will say to yourself "Oh, so that's the squat I've been hearing about..."

Try to pet your hens when they are out free-ranging and they will frequently squat for you.

6. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:Yes, they'll do it even with no rooster - if you've been around them every day and they recognize you as the Bringer of Treats, they'll treat you as the rooster. Putting a rooster in with them will not induce them to lay any sooner.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] You don't know squat? [​IMG]

(sorry - couldn't help myself!)

8. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Quote:lol [​IMG] I'm learning. [​IMG]

9. chickon baby

chickon baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    st charles
    Dont feel bad,I didnt know what it was either!!! I learned from my fellow BYC friends.I dont have a roo and when I pet mine they squat,however they dont put they're wings out at all.

10. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Quote:[​IMG]

(My dad always used to say that)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by