What is the strangest thing your chickens ate? Mine just ate crawfish Monica and aligator tail

When cleaning out the crop of a young rooster during butchering, we found two .22 casings and a plastic spray nozzle from a spray paint can. What the ? was he thinking?! My nephew who was helping at the time thought maybe we'd find some loose change or a blank signed check if we looked hard enough in some of the others' gizzards :)

No way can I top what you all have posted. Mine love crepes. I made crepes one morning and gave them the extras, when they tasted them you could see the surprise on their faces of oh wow is that good. With the recent early cold snap, I got up early and made them a batch of crepes with Gala apple (rosters favorite) and warm water to drink. I guess my little flock of 8 chickens and 4 guineas is spoiled.

"off with ihis head" came from Alice in Wonderland...

Ahh, duh! Thanks, knew I heard it somewhere!
Jalapenos - three of the girls won't touch them but the rest, especially the two roosters, go berserk for them!
Grrr! You just reminded me of when I started free ranging my 21 young chickens this summer to save on feed.
I had a beautiful ornamental Medusa pepper plant in a huge pot on our back steps (I think I paid $10 for the darn thing, in a plastic pot). I was going to eat some to see how hot they were and save the rest for seeds so I didn't have to buy more, they look awesome!
Came home from work one day, and all that was left was maybe half the leaves! There must have been 50 red,yellow,green,purple peppers on that plant!
he.gif

I hope they pooped FIRE!
somad.gif

Last edited:
I have seen mine run around with a dead mouse. Did not see if they eventually swallowed it. I was cutting up firewood and there was a small snake under one log. One of my BCMs snatched it up and took off running with it followed by 6 other chickens. Frogs don't last long around here either.

I have seen mine run around with a dead mouse. Did not see if they eventually swallowed it. I was cutting up firewood and there was a small snake under one log. One of my BCMs snatched it up and took off running with it followed by 6 other chickens. Frogs don't last long around here either.
Mine love mice...and they swallow them whole while alive...you can even see their crop moving around after they swallowed the mouse
sickbyc.gif

I know what you mean, my chickens amaze me with all that they eat. Once a RIR grabbed a bullfrog, took off running with it, and I watched as the races began. Over the next 20 minutes it passed back and forth between 3 of my flock and every time a new hen took control the strangest thing happened. They would beat this frog so hard into the ground it was like they were busting bones ( gross ). I do believe for the size of these creatures that they are brutal killers, LOL I adore my flock of chickens and pity anything they find daily.:D

My black Australorpe is amazingly quick at catching live animals. She has caught live Deer Mice, Field mice, Lizards and a California Racer (snake). She runs like hell to keep the other hens from stealing her catch, then shakes and bangs it against the ground until dead. Finally, gulping it down whole like a snake would.
We used to have a lot of lizards (mostly fence, sideblotched and whiptail) around the perimeter of the house. They kept the ant population in check. Since the chickens arrived, lizards are few and far between. As a result, the ants are now taking over. I'm considering getting an Anteater, LOL.

My black Australorpe is amazingly quick at catching live animals. She has caught live Deer Mice, Field mice, Lizards and a California Racer (snake). She runs like hell to keep the other hens from stealing her catch, then shakes and bangs it against the ground until dead. Finally, gulping it down whole like a snake would.
We used to have a lot of lizards (mostly fence, sideblotched and whiptail) around the perimeter of the house. They kept the ant population in check. Since the chickens arrived, lizards are few and far between. As a result, the ants are now taking over. I'm considering getting an Anteater, LOL.
That is sooo cool!!! You can keep anteaters there??

Back
Top Bottom