What is this? A guessing game...

crap! speckledhen beat me too it that was my guess to!
smile.png

Yay!!
D.gif
Speckledhen!
D.gif
You won the ultimate prize! So all I need is your address and you can be the proud owner of a Jap/Phoenix roo...just send $40 shipping and handling!!!
tongue.png
LOL!!

Actually I think I'm going to keep him. Looks kinda like single combed Sumatra. Today while taking pics of the younger crew it appears that I have more just like him.
hmm.png
I know he came out of Jap egg and he's starting to get silver in his hackle... like my Phoenix, and is much larger then the other chicks.

Is is possible for chicks out of the same clutch by the same mother to be 3 different breeds?

It must be!

With my younger ones, I was taking pics tonight and I have determined that 2 that are Silkie x's, only one looks pure Jap and the rest all look like this guy. Their mother hid the eggs, so I know they all must have some from the same hen, because the rest of the hens are good girls and lay in the nest box. I think she brooded under the coop, actually I'm certain because a few days after she showed up with these babies, I smelled rotten eggs coming from under the coop...nasty!

100_2852.jpg

The one in the front is definitely pure Jap. The rest are all too tall and too dark to be pure, Jap or to be crossed with Silkie. The only other rooster I had besides the Jap was a Phoenix and the Silkie...the Silkie was sold not long after she would have starting laying this clutch.

100_2851.jpg

These 2 are definitely Silkie/Jap x. They have black skin, extra toes and feathered legs. They are also small. Very strange situation. Now I have to edit my For sale add...
barnie.gif

Sorry for the long post!!

The reason I guessed is that I hatched an accidental crossbreed from my friend Kate's eggs. Her Silver Phoenix rooster had been getting busy with her Barred Rock hens. I hatched one beautiful pullet, solid black with the head shaped like a Phoenix. I named her Raven. She is gorgeous and I gave her back to Kate's hubby as a birthday gift because the Phoenix pair was actually his. Your bird reminded me of her. Here is a pic of Raven taken in the last couple of days:
raven9507.2.jpg

They do look alike. I wonder if he will have a long tail like his dad? I was reading the other day that tail length is determined by the mother. I can't remember if he came out of a Phoenix or Jap egg, the hen who hatched him was a Phoenix, but she had several different hens eggs under her.

The younger ones are all from a Japanese mother. They are from the hen who surprised me with babies one morning. I'm just confused and surprised that their could be 3 different fathers for one clutch...is this possible? It seems very unlikely that she rolled other hens eggs under the coop w/ her.
hmm.png
I'm just disappointed how immoral this hen is....

Back
Top Bottom