what is this and how do I treat it?

BeautyBuffs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
I was out with the ladies this afternoon and I noticed one of my hens feet. She is walking fine, no limp, eats and drinks as she should and when i bring treats she has no problem getting her fair share of them. I have seen pictures of the bumblefoot that people have spoke about but these places do not appear to have a center in them at all. Just like a white filmy cover like we would get if we got a blister.
the dark spot is dirt. I did not wash her feet before taking these pictures. I thought best to wash when i treat rather than wash then rewash and treat.
She has a similar spot on her other foot as well. I have been letting them out during the afternoon and they have been digging around some fig trees that use to have brier vines there. Although we cleared them out, could those that might have grew back have caused this?

Doesn't look like bumble foot to me. Bumble foot sis usually on the bottom of the foot and forms a "plug". Anyway, that look like a blister. Actually it looks like an abscess. It could be from thorns. You can soak her feet in warm epsom salt and use some antibiotic ointment to see if that helps clear it up. As long as she is not lame, I'd just keep and eye on it. HTH

is there a special antibiotic cream for chickens? For humans I keep triple antibiotic cream in the house. Does she need to be kept inside? does it need a bandage over it? If I put a bandage on it will the tape from the bandage hurt her leg when I take it off? How long is the recommended time for the epson salt soak?

I'd soak her feet/foot for about 10 mins or so. Triple AB ointment is what I'd use too. Actually, thinking on it, I'd use Blue Kote from the spray can. This way you can spray her feet and not have to bandage. You could try this: a soak. smear a slight coat of AB ointment on the "sore" and then cover/spray with Blue Kote. The Blue Kote once dry should from a "shield" over the ointment. Some times this works like it's supposed to and sometimes it doesn't though! If the soak, smear, spray method doesn't work like it's supposed to, then just go with soak and spray.
You may have to treat her feet for a few days depending on what it's doing and how the medication adheres to the ouchie spot.
I would probably keep her inside for a few days to make it easier to treat and monitor her. But if she isn't going for that, then let her out and keep and eye in her. If she goes of feed and develops a fever (her legs.feet will be hot to the touch if she is febrile) then you will want to definately (sp) keep her in and give her a shot of Penicillian. Feel free to PM if you need to! HTH

Thanks for the fast response! I am off to AW to get the spray. I guess I should really get a chicken first aid kit together, then I would have been prepared. Any ideas from anyone on what would be the things to have in a Chicken First Aid Kit?

Glad to help! There are a number of things to have in a chicken first aid kit. Here is a list of what I have in mine:
Vet RX
Blue-Kote-both spray and dauber
Nolvasan Ointment
Triple AB ointment
Needle and thread
Various syringes and needles
Tylan injectable
Penicillian
LA 200
Terramycin Eye ointment
Nail clippers
metal nail file
scissors
sterile saline solution
betadine scrub/solution
Chlorhexadine solution
Sulmet
Corid
Vitamine and electrolytes
Tetracycline powder

Well I brought Molly in and she did amazingly well soaking her feet in a warm epsom salt soak. she just stood in the big pan and eventually started lowering her underside down in it and i held her up to keep her belly as dry as possible. Guess humans are not the only one that likes a good foot soak. lol. After the soak i patted her feet dry and applied the TAO to the spots and then sprayed her foot with the wound Kote. I put her in the master bathroom to let it dry real good and to let any of her feathers that got wet dry before I put her back with the rest. To my suprise the DH goes in the master bath to take a hot soak in the tub and finds an egg setting behind the closed toile seat lid. I checked her foot earlier today and they look alot better, not near what they were. Do I repeat the soak daily or just wash the feet daily and apply the TAO and Kote to them?

I have managed to get about half that list together so far for my chicken first aid kit. I am getting there! Thanks for the great list of things I need, sure made shopping easier!!!!

Back
Top Bottom