What is this and what do I do?

Daphne16

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
CONNECTICUT
My 9 week old EE has been being pecked. I have seperated her and applied blue kote to the area. Yesterday I reintroduced her after 24 hours seperation, she eats and drinks and poops.
Today I saw blood again, this time it is much worse and around her vent. I have also reseperated her into my laundry room in a dog cage with pine shavings, chick starter medicated, and water. I washed, neosporined then blue koted her too.
Pics after cleaning with warm water
004.jpg

003.jpg

before washing with warm water
002.jpg

001.jpg

thanks for the help
) What type of bird , age and weight. 9 week old EE
2) What is the behavior, exactly. bleeding around vent
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Bleeding around vent
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. being pecked by other pullets
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Medicated chick starter, water w/acv occassionally treats such as yogurt, kefir, watermelon, corn
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? washing with warm water, neosporin then blue kote
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use raised 4.5'x6' coop inside 10x10x6 dog kennel (6 chickens, 3 9 week olds, 3 13 week olds) pineshavings

Last edited:
Quote:
You definitely did the right thing by separating her from the others. This time, keep her separated until the wounds have healed completely. Chickens will peck at injuries and it can be fatal to the injured bird. She will heal quickly if given the opportunity, alone in a safe place.

Keep an eye on the area and keep it clean. The goal right now is to avoid infection. Keep her crate as clean as possible too. You may wish to put Neosporin on the wounds (just avoid anything with pain killers in it, the ingredients list will have something ending in "cain" and that's bad for chickens).

Identifying the reasons for the pecking is important. Too closely confined? Bored? Not enough protein in their diet?

I usually change over from medicated feed to unmedicated at 8 weeks, you could make that transition for them at this time too.

I hope this helps. Good luck with her. She should bounce back in no time!

Hi Daphne, I just tried to respond but, lost the page? I don't think my post was posted so, I'm going to attempt to respond again. If you are not seeing any blood in her stool and she has been on medicated chick starter I'm going to say it is inflammed and bleeding from the pecking. You are doing the best thing in what you've done so far. I would try to keep it as clean as possible, dry completely, and re apply anti bacterial cream. I think that if they were picking on her did you notice any other symptoms before the injury? I find it odd when they do this but, if they are too confined in a small area they will peck at each other. I do not know if that is your case here. Also, the other reason I've seen them pick on one bird is b/c they know there is something else wrong with them and it could have appeared sick to them. Either way I would definitely keep her separated till she is completely healed otherwise if there is any evidence of blood, scabs, etc. they will peck at her again. Keep me posted and let me know if I can be of any help.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies Adozen and Beth, they just moved to the coop and run from the brooder 3 days ago so I wanted to keep them on the medicated starter for a little longer.
I think the pecking started because of the space limit in the brooder (3'x5'), they seem to be a pecking a lot less now that they are in the coop and run. Just when they happen to see the injury.
I will keep everything as clean as possible. This little EE lets me carry her around and cuddles with me so she is extra special. My daughter even kisses her.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Good luck call me or email me if you need anything. If for some reason you think she may get an infection from this I always keep antibiotics in my medical emergency chickie kit, I'd be more than happy to share with you!!!
smile.png

Quote:

hey im new to byc so could someone tell me how to post a question thanx
and for the pecking my rir killed 2 cornish x they were 6 weeks old they are still doing it but we seperated the cornish so the rir are getting there pecking order down

Beth G. :

Good luck call me or email me if you need anything. If for some reason you think she may get an infection from this I always keep antibiotics in my medical emergency chickie kit, I'd be more than happy to share with you!!!
smile.png

Quote:

Thanks you and the CT page were my first thought of action. She is enjoying some yogurt at the moment.​

Also should I keep her in the laundry room or move her cage into the run during the day and back in at night?
thanks again

Hi, I would say whatever make she at ease, calm, and a good enviroment to heal is best. If you put her outside right away my gut feeling worries about flies getting at the unhealed wound. If I were in your shoes, I would keep the baby inside for awhile and get the scab to form well over the wound. Also, the temps are supposed to be wacky this week so, I would say keep her in for that reason too. Hope that made sense, sometimes I get a thought and do not properly say what I mean....lol....sorry
hide.gif

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom