what is this beautiful rooster with a beard?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by micloscrib, Nov 1, 2009.

1. micloscrib

micloscrib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    please tell me what he is and possibly the black hen too. i bought them both at the same time and there the same age. there still young and she just started laying. please identify them for me:) and why does the rooster have a beard???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm going to guess Black Australorp for the girl, and Easter Egger or Ameraucana for the boy. Most likely EE. Where did you get them?

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I would say that the hen is an Australorp. The rooster might be an Easteregger. Beards are common among them. He is unlike most I have seen but they do not have any set colors.

4. micloscrib

micloscrib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Iowa
    i got them from some lady. she said they might be an ee but i wasnt sure

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    The australorp would have a more whitish color on the bottom of her feet. And she's not an easter egger because they generally have pea combs. I don't know about the roo, but he sure is pretty! [​IMG]

6. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I think the hen looks like an Australorp.

The roo is an EE mix....he looks like he's got some RIR or NH blood in him. [​IMG]

7. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    The lady does look like an australorp but her legs are dark. She looks more like my black jersey giants than my australorps [​IMG]

8. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

The rooster appears to be a Wheaten Ameraucana. The Hen is possibly an Australorp. Good looking birds....

9. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    that beard looks like a fake 1 you just glued on to confuse ppl [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The roo is an Easter Egger.... he may have some Wheaten Ameraucana in him, but he is not a pure breed... thus an Easter Egger.

I had a Black Sex link hen that looked just like the one in your photo... while most BSL have at least some red flecks on their breast feathers, that one had hardly any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by