1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is this bird doing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a very conceited chicken she has been staring at herself in the mirror for over 15 minutes now or did she hypomotize her self she has not moved or nothing just looking at her self in the mirror

[​IMG]

2. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    She's not looking at herself she is looking at the other hen. She just doesnt know how to respond to the "other hen" If she is your only one she probably is lonely. If you have others just cover the mirror and she will stop. If covering the mirror is not an option then just move her. Truthfully she is a little "hypomotized".

3. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG]

4. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a total of 4 but my make up table I normaly have blocked off from her as she was steeling my make up brushes but i was clean last night and forgot to block it off again I fanlly got up and moved her to my desk wich is her napping place cant say her egg laying place as she dont lay eggs but she does come in my room through teh doggy door and nake about 3 naps a day on my desk she is my defective trouble making silly chicken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    x2. My birds do a "staring contest" at each other. Sometimes when a bird that's higher on the pecking order approaches one that is lower on the pecking order, the lower one will hold still so she won't get attacked...and move when it's safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by