What is this black thing on her comb

Moges amha

Songster
Dec 24, 2020
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Found a chicken with this black spot on the comb .. what is it ??

Attachments

• 20210506_154354.jpg
    20210506_154354.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 22
The best way to explain what it looks like it me is a “blood boil” (I thinks it fairly self explanatory). I don’t know how you would go about treating it, but I think thats what it is. I also have the same question about her beak.

Loool the beak is from a poor beak triming...what is "blood boil"??
The best way to explain what it looks like it me is a “blood boil” (I thinks it fairly self explanatory). I don’t know how you would go about treating it, but I think thats what it is. I also have the same question about her beak.
Idk but that is a very bad beak, if you haven't noticed lol

The spot on the comb may be fowl pox. It's a virus that is transmitted by biting insects, usually mosquito's. The dry form usually runs it's course in a few weeks with no real issues. The wet form causes lesions in the mouth and throat and is more serious.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
The bird looks like it was debeaked, and when that is done it's usually cauterized and will not grow back. It's usually done with birds that are kept in over crowded conditions to prevent pecking and cannibalization. Most birds adapt and do fine regardless as long as they are able to eat and drink well.

The bird looks like it was debeaked, and when that is done it's usually cauterized and will not grow back. It's usually done with birds that are kept in over crowded conditions to prevent pecking and cannibalization. Most birds adapt and do fine regardless as long as they are able to eat and drink well.
Oh so it is most likely a rescued hen. Got it.

The spot on the comb may be fowl pox. It's a virus that is transmitted by biting insects, usually mosquito's. The dry form usually runs it's course in a few weeks with no real issues. The wet form causes lesions in the mouth and throat and is more serious.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
Hopefully mine is the dry one.... the link you sent me is not working

Back
Top Bottom