What is this? Came out of my buff pen! Lavender like coloring!!!

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
The chicks about 4-5 weeks old. Came out of my buffs. I have to check later to see who its parents are. This is the first time i've seen something like this. The off color doesnt look blue, could it possibly be lavender?

DSC01769.jpg
DSC01770.jpg
DSC01771.jpg
DSC01772.jpg
DSC01766.jpg

Last edited:
That does kinda look like Lavender. If you have any Buffs from George Mihalik or from someone who has his lines, that could explain it. George liked to play with those colors.
wink.png

I dont think you can call that a lavender, still has buff coloring. Maybe you have started a new color and you can pick your very own name....

Quote:
I dont have any lavs.
hmm.png

I do plan on keeping it and seeing what it looks like onces its full grown. Ive never seen anything like this before.

oh I am sure something can be arranged
wink.png
tongue.png

I would think it is most likely a blue leakage of some sort but I personally would breed to lav just on the off shoot that it was lav and not blue. besides it makes sense for you to start with lavs as they sort of go with buff if you want a pi project
big_smile.png

Excuse me butting in as I have absolutely no experience with this, but I've been following all the lav/not lav threads. I read that someone (I think Chris09) mentioned to test if a bird is lav or not, breed it to a black. If all the chicks are black, then you have a bird carrying lavender, if any other color (like blue) then some chicks will hatch out blue, some black.

I hope I have that right.

Back
Top Bottom