What is this? Came out of my buff pen! Lavender like coloring!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jun 3, 2010.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The chicks about 4-5 weeks old. Came out of my buffs. I have to check later to see who its parents are. This is the first time i've seen something like this. The off color doesnt look blue, could it possibly be lavender?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    That does kinda look like Lavender. If you have any Buffs from George Mihalik or from someone who has his lines, that could explain it. George liked to play with those colors. [​IMG]

3. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    blue fawn??

LOOKS JUST LIKE MY RABITT! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I dont think you can call that a lavender, still has buff coloring. Maybe you have started a new color and you can pick your very own name....

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I didn't say the bird was lavender, just some of the feathers. It is a Buff Silkie with Lavender leakage. [​IMG]

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    thats the sort of leakage my buff lav splits have [​IMG] try breeding back to lavender and see if you get PI

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I always thought lav will dilute the buff.... if it does then that bird could be blue partridge..?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I dont have any lavs. [​IMG]

I do plan on keeping it and seeing what it looks like onces its full grown. Ive never seen anything like this before.

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I dont have any lavs. [​IMG]

I do plan on keeping it and seeing what it looks like onces its full grown. Ive never seen anything like this before.

oh I am sure something can be arranged [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would think it is most likely a blue leakage of some sort but I personally would breed to lav just on the off shoot that it was lav and not blue. besides it makes sense for you to start with lavs as they sort of go with buff if you want a pi project [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Excuse me butting in as I have absolutely no experience with this, but I've been following all the lav/not lav threads. I read that someone (I think Chris09) mentioned to test if a bird is lav or not, breed it to a black. If all the chicks are black, then you have a bird carrying lavender, if any other color (like blue) then some chicks will hatch out blue, some black.

I hope I have that right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by