What is this chicken's problem?

elanorevenstar

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2016
Our chicken has a swollen back end. The vent area is protruding at least two inches out from her body and is very swollen. It started Sunday night, although we don't know exactly when - that was just when my husband saw that something was wrong when he locked the chickens up for the night. It was late, so we had to wait until the next day to look closer. When we first saw it the next day, the whole back end area was hugely swollen. It was golf ball sized or a little bigger, and completely round. We bathed her and got a lot of gunk off, but not all (some was pretty crusty). Later that day we bathed her again and by then it had reduced in size to what it is now. It's stayed like this all week. Today we bathed her again and while the area cleaned up fairly well in places, there is a huge amount of dried on, crusty gunk. I could get it off, but to do so removed some skin (so we left it alone). What is her problem and will she heal? There really isn't anything we can do other than bathe her, which doesn't seem to be doing much.

I have a photo that I can post, but don't like to do so without knowing if that is okay. It's pretty gross!

Please do post some photos.

From what you are describing she may have a prolapse.
Give her a soak in warm epsom salts bath. The white discharge, I'm not sure about, could be Vent Gleet, but will wait for photos.

If she has a prolapse and it looks like tissue coming out of the vent, once you soak her apply some hemorrhoid cream or honey, this can help reduce swelling.

Let us know how she is doing.

This was taken on Monday after we bathed her. At times it seems like there is white stuff seeping through the tissue, but that might be my imagination! It really seemed like there was whiteness in places that had been clean a moment before. The darker end is now all crusted/scabbed over. A piece seemed to be coming off so I pulled it, but it looked like it was taking the skin off with it so I stopped!

Apart from the increased scabbing, there hasn't been much change. She's still active, although she might be moving slower than usual. She's still jumping up to the rafters in the coop at night too, and from what we've seen none of the other chickens are bothering her.

This was taken on Monday after we bathed her. At times it seems like there is white stuff seeping through the tissue, but that might be my imagination! It really seemed like there was whiteness in places that had been clean a moment before. The darker end is now all crusted/scabbed over. A piece seemed to be coming off so I pulled it, but it looked like it was taking the skin off with it so I stopped!

Apart from the increased scabbing, there hasn't been much change. She's still active, although she might be moving slower than usual. She's still jumping up to the rafters in the coop at night too, and from what we've seen none of the other chickens are bothering her.

Has it been like that almost a week?
Has she laid any eggs?

Hopefully it's not too dried out, but since it's been like this for several days, you may need to take her to a vet.

You needs to separate her and try to tend to her.

It looks like her vent is prolapsed What you are seeing is basically part of her insides (reproductive/digestive tract) hanging out. It needs to go back in. Try soaking her in the epsom salts bath, clean it well and apply some vetericyn or antibiotic ointment, see if the prolapse will go back in (retract inside the body). If it won't then you may need to repeat the process and try to get the swelling down. Regardless if it goes back in or not keep it moist with hemorrhoid cream or honey.

The white you see coming out is poop, so it will continue to ooze, it has no choice, this is also where the poop comes out.

See what you can do and let us know how she's doing.

Here's some detailed treatment for prolapse:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited:
Yes, it's been like this since Sunday night. We weren't totally sure what we were dealing with, and then when it didn't change we thought to ask here and see what it was for sure.

As far as we know, she has not laid any eggs yet. She's around the same age as our other hens (a little over 5 months) and they are all laying now. The last of the other hens started laying this week. I felt for an egg, thinking she might be egg bound, but couldn't feel anything.

A couple of months ago this hen was acting weird - she was waddling around like a duck, dragging her behind along on the ground. We didn't see anything then (no swelling) and felt for an egg then too, but didn't feel anything. I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem - she was probably just playing charades or practicing her duck-walk-skills and didn't bother to tell us - but thought I'd mention it in case there was a connection.

We bathed her a couple more times, but weren't able to get the gunk off, so after that we left her alone. It's been over two weeks since we first saw the swelling and I'm happy to say -- she healed on her own! Her behind is all soft and fluffy again, she is still alive and doing well, and has begun laying!

We bathed her a couple more times, but weren't able to get the gunk off, so after that we left her alone. It's been over two weeks since we first saw the swelling and I'm happy to say -- she healed on her own! Her behind is all soft and fluffy again, she is still alive and doing well, and has begun laying!

Glad to hear she is doing well!

Back
Top Bottom