What is this coming out of my Rooster's swollen oil gland??

sylitysgirl3

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
Does anyone know what this stuff is that's coming out of his oil gland? His oil gland is pretty swollen too. It's usually thick/ chunky and sometimes I can see tiny black specs throughout whatever it is; or ill see white/ almost clear like stuff come out of his gland in one long peice that looks like a hair stand. Lately I've noticed a sight bad smell to it.
There's been 2 times where I've seen a tiny bit of red mixed in with it (I'm assuming it's blood).

Attachments

• 20240402_060806.jpg
    20240402_060806.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 20240402_060734.jpg
    20240402_060734.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240402_060759.jpg
    20240402_060759.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240407_075927.jpg
    20240407_075927.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Can you post pictures of the gland itself?
For starters I would use warm, wet compresses on it with gentle massage. If it's partially blocked that will help clear it and may reduce swelling and discomfort. If it's infected then vet care would be best. Normally a oil gland is not even noticeable unless you look for it. Is he messing with it a lot? Are his feathers in good condition? Do you see build up or messiness around the gland in the feathers there? Does he seem fine otherwise, acting fine, eating, drinking, normal behavior? How old is he? What do you feed?
Uropygial glands can get infected, impacted and can get cancers or tumors.
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/blog/health-welfare/the-uropygial-gland-explained/

Can you post pictures of the gland itself?
For starters I would use warm, wet compresses on it with gentle massage. If it's partially blocked that will help clear it and may reduce swelling and discomfort. If it's infected then vet care would be best. Normally a oil gland is not even noticeable unless you look for it. Is he messing with it a lot? Are his feathers in good condition? Do you see build up or messiness around the gland in the feathers there? Does he seem fine otherwise, acting fine, eating, drinking, normal behavior? How old is he? What do you feed?
Uropygial glands can get infected, impacted and can get cancers or tumors.
https://www.bhwt.org.uk/blog/health-welfare/the-uropygial-gland-explained/
Yea I'll try to get some photos of his oil gland and post them in the comments. His gland is very noticeable; even from a foot or 2 away from his you'd be able to see how it's swollen. He's had trouble grown his feathers back ever since this all white guinea fowl male my fiance and I owned a couple years ago started Maliciously attacking him out of nowhere one day ; it would chase and corner him then start pulling out any feather of his it could get ahold of (because of that is we got rid of the guinea as soon as we could). Nowadays he refuses and hates going outside or interacting with anyone/anything that isn't me (I'm his mama basically) and will try to attack whoever or whatever it is ; and I think he's like that due to the Seizures he gets every now and then ever since he was a young Cockreal. To this day he'll either have a big seizure to or a mini one sometimes ; it randomly happens.

What would the build up look like?
He's about 5/6 years old now.

What it would look like is varied. There could be crusty stuff around it, or if it's impacted it could just be swollen. There could be pus inside, or there could be a tumor making it look swollen. If warm, wet compresses and gentle massage don't help, then vet care would be the best option. Sometimes surgery might be indicated.

So a bunch of light (almost translucent) yellow colored puss mixed with a tiny bit of red came out of his oil gland today
What it would look like is varied. There could be crusty stuff around it, or if it's impacted it could just be swollen. There could be pus inside, or there could be a tumor making it look swollen. If warm, wet compresses and gentle massage don't help, then vet care would be the best option. Sometimes surgery might be indicated.

Yea I'll try to get some photos of his oil gland and post them in the comments. His gland is very noticeable; even from a foot or 2 away from his you'd be able to see how it's swollen. He's had trouble grown his feathers back ever since this all white guinea fowl male my fiance and I owned a couple years ago started Maliciously attacking him out of nowhere one day ; it would chase and corner him then start pulling out any feather of his it could get ahold of (because of that is we got rid of the guinea as soon as we could). Nowadays he refuses and hates going outside or interacting with anyone/anything that isn't me (I'm his mama basically) and will try to attack whoever or whatever it is ; and I think he's like that due to the Seizures he gets every now and then ever since he was a young Cockreal. To this day he'll either have a big seizure to or a mini one sometimes ; it randomly happens.

What would the build up look like?
He's about 5/6 years old now.
20240407_231524.jpg

Is the liquid coming out of the tip of the gland, or is it coming from the scabbed spot on top at the base where it's swollen? Is the scab from others pecking him? If he was injured there then it might be infection. If nothing is coming out the tip, then the gland is probably blocked or impacted, and may be infected. If warm, wet compresses and gentle massage are not helping, or if it's getting worse, then vet care would probably be best. They can prescribe medication if it's infected, or determine if it's a tumor. In the case of a tumor the gland might need to be surgically removed.

Back
Top Bottom