What is this creature?

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
Found this thing in the chicken run today. It was injured and couldn't fly. I have no idea what it was. It had wings like a moth, legs like a fly, a face like a mouse and fur on its head and back. It was the weirdest thing. I was very curious so I got my phone and took some pictures and a video. In the video, I was trying to help it and get it to fly away because at first I thought it was a hummingbird. April, one of my salmon faverolles, saw it flapping its wings and grabbed it before I could even think twice, so the poor little guy ended up as chicken dinner.

I have no clue what this thing is...it kind of looked like some sort of bat because of the fur?

Not sure where to put this post but wanted to figure out if anybody knew what this was.

Last edited:
Haha that chick was quick!

Looked like a large moth to me, the butt looked like one for sure. I have seen one similar and it was as big as my hand, no freaking joke! My cat got to it and ate it lol gross

Yeah, she ran around with the poor thing flapping it's wings in her mouth for a good five minutes before finding a spot where the others couldn't find her. She then pecked it to death, split it in half, and only ate half of it. I gave the other half to another chick.

It appears to be a hummingbird moth.
It's a member of the horn worm family, a cousin to the dudes that decimate your tomato plants.

Yeah I thought that was the best part too. When I showed my brother he was totally surprised. He did not expect that a chicken would come and steal it lol. I'm glad I was video taping!

Back
Top Bottom