What is this foot injury-do not think it’s Bumblefoot?

yukonbeck2020

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2020
Hi everyone! I’m new to raising ducks and need some help with my baby, Yukon Cornelius Quackington (Yukon for short!) I adore this baby and I’m so worried about him, and do not have a reliable avian vet in my area. The only one I have was extremely rude and unhelpful. I have attached a picture of the large swelling and black scab on the upper back part of his right foot. We have been treating it like Bumblefoot, soaking it in water, Epsom salts, and spraying with Theracyn daily. Miraculously, he even lets us bandage him! He is very calm and sweet, and has been behaving normally with his eating, drinking, and playing behaviors with his ladyfriend, Becky! Over the past couple of weeks, it still looks the exact same, except the scab has turned more brown and flat. We even tried surgery, and there was no telltale Bumblefoot “kernel,” and the same brown scab formed when it was over. My main concern is how swollen that area still is. Any advice on what this could be? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 973E2B13-CF27-4FA8-98B8-BC26E3AEDAE5.jpeg
    973E2B13-CF27-4FA8-98B8-BC26E3AEDAE5.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 9E098C41-8189-4B55-BC81-8B4680BDF4AE.jpeg
    9E098C41-8189-4B55-BC81-8B4680BDF4AE.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 20
:welcome sorry that you had a bad experience with the vet. Sure looks like bumblefoot to me. Have you done an on site search for treatment ?

Hi everyone! I’m new to raising ducks and need some help with my baby, Yukon Cornelius Quackington (Yukon for short!) I adore this baby and I’m so worried about him, and do not have a reliable avian vet in my area. The only one I have was extremely rude and unhelpful. I have attached a picture of the large swelling and black scab on the upper back part of his right foot. We have been treating it like Bumblefoot, soaking it in water, Epsom salts, and spraying with Theracyn daily. Miraculously, he even lets us bandage him! He is very calm and sweet, and has been behaving normally with his eating, drinking, and playing behaviors with his ladyfriend, Becky! Over the past couple of weeks, it still looks the exact same, except the scab has turned more brown and flat. We even tried surgery, and there was no telltale Bumblefoot “kernel,” and the same brown scab formed when it was over. My main concern is how swollen that area still is. Any advice on what this could be? Thanks so much!
Bumble foot. May not look like it, but it is without a doubt. Do h have an avian vet near you? They can do a surgery if required. You will need to treat it with antibiotics.

That is a serious infection, and if not cared for soon, the infection will set into his bones (osteomyelitis) which is quite difficult to treat. Can you take him to a vet? If not, I would suggest starting him on antibiotics, to be more specific, something like Enrofloxacin, Ciprofloxacin, or Cephalexin. These drugs can be obtained online without an RX in fish, or bird form.

Back
Top Bottom