What is this Frizzled thing ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sadieh, Sep 26, 2013.

1. sadieh

sadieh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]Breed and Gender Guesses PLEASE, its about 3 1/2 months old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cellochick

Cellochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    It could be a barred rock frizzle?

3. sadieh

Jul 10, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Its coloring is barred, but it doesn't really have a comb and its small like a bantum

4. TheJadeChicken

TheJadeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute! Looks like Barred Frizzle Hen. As far as breed, I have no idea.

5. sadieh

Jul 10, 2013
    Oklahoma
    It's comb is flat, I guess pea comb? I don't see any little bumps. Its is about 1/4 of the size of the barred rocks. What Bantam breeds come barred with pea combs?

6. swampturkey

swampturkey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    dominique bantams look alot like that, and this one may be a dominique bantam with a frzzled gene in it somewhere.

7. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    There is, essentially, a bantam breed for every large fowl breed. There are some exceptions (OMG I WOULD DIE FOR A LF SILKIE) but there's bantam counterparts for most.

The most popular bantam breed with barred pattern is the barred cochin. But this one, obviously, has clean legs. Cochins don't. To make it even more confusing, I recently discovered that bantams CAN breed with large fowl birds! I don't quite know how they manage to reach/not get squished, but whatever. It's happening in my own back yard, and I'm hatching out the eggs to prove it.

So it could be darn near anything. You're probably looking at a mixed breed either way.

I will say though, that it looks like a hen to me. The comb is still very yellow to be a rooster.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm guessing that it is some sort of mixed breed bantam, maybe with one of its parents being a Dominique. Must have the frizzled gene somewhere, too. Looks to be a pullet to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by