What is this grain?

LadyWitcher

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
This is a scoop of Mile Four’s corn-free, soy-free grower feed. What is the yellow circular grain that is so prevalent? I feel dumb, but I can’t figure it out based on their ingredient list and looking up pics online 😭
(It’s also not supposed to have pellets, and clearly it does, so I’m not thrilled.)

Attachments

• 6C1B4FBC-7676-4120-9E02-E48E45B5EB7F.jpeg
    6C1B4FBC-7676-4120-9E02-E48E45B5EB7F.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 216EBB67-13D4-4D4E-B626-8D4E8EB69383.jpeg
    216EBB67-13D4-4D4E-B626-8D4E8EB69383.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 9
Those look like either yellow split peas or yellow lentils. Peas, I think.

My understanding is that the whole grain feeds have a pellet in them that contains all the vitamins which are lacking in the grains -- which is why it's desirable to feed whole grain feeds either wet or fermented so that the hens will have a harder time picking out what they like best and ignoring the rest, thus giving themselves nutritional imbalances.

Those look like either yellow split peas or yellow lentils. Peas, I think.

My understanding is that the whole grain feeds have a pellet in them that contains all the vitamins which are lacking in the grains -- which is why it's desirable to feed whole grain feeds either wet or fermented so that the hens will have a harder time picking out what they like best and ignoring the rest, thus giving themselves nutritional imbalances.
Thank you for this insight! The description says “no pellets” and they’ve never had food in a pellet form, so it’ll be interesting to see what they do. I give them fermented feed a couple times a week, so glad to know this will work well for that :) Thanks again!

Yellow split peas is my guess (mmm split pea soup). My chickens aren't crazy about split peas (they love fresh peas) but will eat them if the feed is fermented. Does the ingredient list contain peas or lentils?
Yes peas are listed. I’m pretty sure my girls hate them unless fermented lol bummer that there are SO MANY in this mix

Back
Top Bottom