What is this guy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CDennis, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Someone dropped this roo off on my property about a month ago. Mind you I need another rooster like I need a swift kick to the head, and all my previous roo's were OEBG and Jersey Giant so to me this guy looks REALLY funny. He is very afraid of people and has not decided to crow yet which is the reason he has been pardoned and allowed to live on the property. Although, if he is here there is a chance he may get with one of my hens and I would like to prepare for what that mix may be. Hard to tell in the snow but he does have some feathers on his feet and somewhat of a rose comb. Any help is greatly appreciated. They dropped off another rooster the same day, but I have been unable to get a photo of him so far, he is a very pretty rooster also not yet crowing! I don't know what it is about my JG's I am convinced they intend to crow every 15 minutes and if they miss one time they spend the ENTIRE rest of the day making up for it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Looks like a silkie/silverlaced cochin and mabe something else

3. avenel

avenel New Egg

Nov 26, 2010
    It is a silver lace I believe. Someone in this area had one and it looked like that. Very handsome fella

4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks I had a strong feeling MUTT would be the answer, which is fine...as long as he doesn't start crowing! [​IMG]

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    He looks like a silkie cross. My silkie roo crows very loudly, so hopefully yours doesn't.

Lanae

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    From the rose comb and body shape I would say he has some Wyandotte in him and who knows what else. Pretty guy though.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I agree. His color, at least partially, is a poor Golden Duckwing - which is odd, the closest color simular to that is partridge in wyandottes. I don't know if the SL wyandotte would account for the chest markings or not, they look much more like spangled/speckled than laces.

Sultan mixed in would account for the feathered feet, and the partial crest - but they are dom. white I think.... If it were an F1 cochin cross it would have a lot more feathers on it's feet than what it does.

At best I would guess a Wyandotte x mutt bird as his lineage XD

9. omahalostpunk

omahalostpunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Council Bluffs
    Maybe an Orloff mix

10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I doubt it. They have, basically, the same color as a sussex - plus they have practically NO comb, muffs, and a beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by