What is This? Help!

the purple stuff isnt good for much except hiding it from other chickens. Triple antibiotic on it w/o the pain reliever in it. for a couple days should soften the scab up if you want to wait.
Sigh. I’m so new and so dumb. I thought the purple stuff had medicinal properties and would help. Thank you

Really, your not dumb. Shouldnt say that. If you think like you had a boil, how would you treat it ? soaks and bust or vet ? Vets are so expensive and for small stuff you can treat at home I would. I would also wear gloves cause sometimes that a staph infection and contagious.
Thank you. And, ummm.. ewww. Good point. I tend to wear gloves a lot while doing “chicken chores” because I have a compromised immune system. This is my first year with chickens and I haven’t developed an instinct yet for what is a simple “ I can do that” and what is more serious

Okay, so I soaked it and the hard black part fell off. There was hard yellow ick under it, which we managed to clean a good bit of. After soaking, cleaning, rinse, and repeating for about a half hour, I decided that was as much as she take. We put antibiotic cream on it and now she is in our little isolation kennel with food and water

I sincerely hope I have helped her and not hurt her. She didn’t complain, not even once. Follow up pic of the after...

Attachments

• 6DCDB56F-5992-45D7-A0F0-558A72FEF0AF.jpeg
    6DCDB56F-5992-45D7-A0F0-558A72FEF0AF.jpeg
    515 KB · Views: 21
Okay, so I soaked it and the hard black part fell off. There was hard yellow ick under it, which we managed to clean a good bit of. After soaking, cleaning, rinse, and repeating for about a half hour, I decided that was as much as she take. We put antibiotic cream on it and now she is in our little isolation kennel with food and water

I sincerely hope I have helped her and not hurt her. She didn’t complain, not even once. Follow up pic of the after...
You are doing good!
O.k. that yellow cheesy stuff - that is chicken pus. You will want to work on pressing that out. Take your time, you may have to work on that for a couple of days. Flush well in between with saline, betadine or Hibiclens. See if there may be some impacted feathers in there, hard to know what's caused that. If you find curled up feathers, use a sterilized needle to try and work them up and pluck them out. After you express the pus and flush, reapply your triple antibiotic ointment.

upload_2019-10-6_18-40-27.png

Warm baths or compresses before you open it up and clean it out again. Want to get all that cheese out of there, it's chicken pus and will continue to fester unless you get it all. Treat this like a blackhead or cyst, applying gentle yet firm pressure from the sides and underside of the wound to force the material up and out. After flushing the wound out afterward, pack it again with triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief (neosporin like medicine with consistency of vaseline). A moist wound heals faster with chickens.
You're doing an EXCELLENT job helping her.

Back
Top Bottom