What is this in the egg?

NorthChicken

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
Caribou, Maine (almost in Canada!)
My girls are only giving me 1-2 eggs a day, and by the time I get home from work they are frozen solid and cracked open, so no eggs for me from my own flock.
But I have been getting eggs from my mom who also owns chickens. Opened an egg to find this inside? Any idea what it is? And the albumen was almost like water, very, very thin as you can kind of see from the picture. Any ideas?

Did you cut open the chunk of tissue?

Can happen sometimes, a glitch, a piece of tissue shed in the reproductive tract.
Sometimes it is 'laid' alone and sometimes it can be encased within another shelled egg.

If it continues regularly, it would indicate a malfunction in the reproductive system and could be a significant health issue down the road.
Probably not treatable and best to harvest bird for meat.

I don't know anything about the defective egg. I have never seen anything like that before.

I will tell you that I do use frozen eggs. I don't store them as that would give opportunity for bacteria to grow, I just bring them in and fry them and eat them up right away. I wouldn't do this if they appeared soiled, and I wouldn't store the cracked eggs. If the egg is cold enough to freeze solid, it is too cold to be growing bacteria. It does look weird when you fry a frozen egg...

Back
Top Bottom