What is this in the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NorthChicken, Jan 10, 2015.

1. NorthChicken

NorthChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are only giving me 1-2 eggs a day, and by the time I get home from work they are frozen solid and cracked open, so no eggs for me from my own flock.
    But I have been getting eggs from my mom who also owns chickens. Opened an egg to find this inside? Any idea what it is? And the albumen was almost like water, very, very thin as you can kind of see from the picture. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Lash egg

3. MrHodari

MrHodari Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Are all the eggs like that?

Are the Hens older? How old?

Does Look Like Hash

4. rstarrgl

rstarrgl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    How odd!

5. NorthChicken

NorthChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

She is about 10 months old, and it's not every egg. I have seen 2 eggs of hers like this, but others are fine.
    I will look up lash, is it anything to worry about?

6. MrHodari

MrHodari Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Could be stress related... Could have been an infection

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you cut open the chunk of tissue?

Can happen sometimes, a glitch, a piece of tissue shed in the reproductive tract.
    Sometimes it is 'laid' alone and sometimes it can be encased within another shelled egg.

If it continues regularly, it would indicate a malfunction in the reproductive system and could be a significant health issue down the road.
    Probably not treatable and best to harvest bird for meat.

8. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I don't know anything about the defective egg. I have never seen anything like that before.

I will tell you that I do use frozen eggs. I don't store them as that would give opportunity for bacteria to grow, I just bring them in and fry them and eat them up right away. I wouldn't do this if they appeared soiled, and I wouldn't store the cracked eggs. If the egg is cold enough to freeze solid, it is too cold to be growing bacteria. It does look weird when you fry a frozen egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by