What is this little guy?

xSilkieLover13x

Chirping
Jul 20, 2016
PA
So I rescued this little guy from the auction on Saturday, along with 4 Barred Rock hens and a bunny (My fiance was not so happy but oh well!) But I have no clue what he is! I think he is adorable, but I've never had anything so small before! I don't even know age or anything.I like my big fluffy chickens, so this is a whole new ball game for me. My friend thinks he may be Sebright, but she says she's no good with knowing the little breeds either. If someone could tell me the breed and about how old he is, and how they go about free ranging small chickens, cause he's already escaped once and took off flying across the road into our neighbors bushes,where I literally got stuck trying to get him out..... that would be amazing!!! And also I have posted my 4 Barred Rock hens that I got, I have no idea how old they are, so if someone could give me a range that'd be great too!!

welcome-byc.gif

Your little guy looks like maybe a Serama or a mix thereof. He doesn't quite have the classic Serama shape. I'll let the bantam folks chime in for sure there.

You'll have to keep him confined for about a week before you let him range. Like any animal, he'll need to learn where "home" is before you let him off leash so to speak. After that, start letting him out a little before dark. He'll have the habit of sleeping in the coop and will most likely return there each night. Just let him out earlier and earlier. Also, training them to come for a treat can is a good idea.

Those barred birds aren't Rocks, or not all of them anyway. We need better pics, but my gut is saying you got sold a lot of mixed breed cockerels
hide.gif

And that said, I don't understand how one "rescues" an animal from an auction?

The little male looks to be a Nankin or a Black Tailed Buff OEG. But the black in the hackle feathers is an undesirable trait for either breed.

The rooster is a hatchery quality OEGB or Nankin or possibly a mix thereof.

And sorry, but those are not hens. That one with gold leakage is not a Barred Rock at all, probably a mix thereof. All of them are young cockerels, perhaps 14-16 weeks of age.

I looked up Nankin and that looks right. Thanks folks, I knew Serama wasn't quite right, but not familiar much with clean legged bantams. Guess that might be my winter project?

Back
Top Bottom