what is this lump?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Donna73, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Donna73

Donna73 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Southern NH
    Just noticed this lump on the side of hen's neck - any ideas what it is? What do I need to do?

[​IMG]

2. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    Bump

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Is it warm? Looks like it could be an absess possibly from an injury. If she were mine, I would treat with penicillin for a week.

4. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    If this was my hen I would clean the area with rubbing alcohol and lance it with a sterile scalpel, then I would dip a q-tip in hydrogen peroxide and clean it out. It looks like she scratched her head with her toe nail and allowed some infection to get in the wound.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Be careful with peroxide. It is very drying and can kill off live tissue.

6. Donna73

Donna73 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Southern NH
    ok. Um, how exactly do I lance it, and is she going to fight me? And where do I get penicillin and how do I give it to her?
    Can you tell I am NEW to this?? [​IMG]

Donna

7. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Have some one hold/restrain her for you.
    cut a small insision with the scalpel.
    I would personally use an iodine solution (1 part iodine 3 parts water in a syringe with NO needle) squirt gently into the wound to sanitize and rinse out whatever is in there. Leave open to continue to drain.
    Seperate your girl from the others and keep her in a very clean area and change litter frequently.

8. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Jody is right, you only use hydro perox intially to kill germies. You can get scalpels at tractor supply. It will only hurt for a second, chickens are tough. It is important you get all the nasty pus out of it.
    Betadine solution is good too. Does anyone worry about this being more toxic and being absorbed in the tissue,especially around the head??

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If you haven't done it yet, make sure you wear rubber gloves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by