What is this noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmeeter88, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    OK, my chickens make this noise (not the usual 'cluck') but it's more of a scratchy growl, like eerrrrrRRrrrRRRrr. If I had to equate it to something, I'd say it's like an angry cat growl sort of noise. Does that make sense?

What are they trying to say when they do this noise? Also, does it have a name?

2. JHaller

JHaller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Austin TX
    I'm too new at this to say for sure, but my birds usually mean "can't we play in the yard now?". If I get what you mean, they sound somewhat indignant.

Judith

3. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Oh mine do that too... It seams like a cautious warning type noise. Like "I'm keeping my eyes on you, so don't try anything!"

Dove

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    My rooster does that and he also makes this very high pitch whistle sound.. it's cute.. when he does it i always think they are al having a conversation .lol

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its called a growl,, and it means someone or something was bugging her when she wanted to lay an egg/ build nest/ or they also do it when they eat,,,,,it means,,, LEAVE ME ALONE!!! lol [​IMG]

EDIT:ta add,, they also do it to the roo to tell him GO MAKE ME A NEST,, hehe

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Yay! I'm glad people know what the heck I'm referring to! Right now I am not 100% sure which of mine are hens or roosters so I'm not sure who is doing it.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

roosters will do it sometimes,, sounds "kinda" like a growl,, but they do it to tell the girls " heres some food"

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Isn't that the coffee pot sound? lol. Rusty makes it when someone is going to lay an egg. Actually, some of the other hens make it too!

here is Rusty doing it on video for Midnight.

first you hear Midnight whining because she needs to lay an egg.. then Rusty does his coffee pot imitation! lol

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:That's funny!

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL my roo puurs,clucks, growls and screams like a little girl sometimes. He also tryed to "bark" one time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by