What is this noise?

jmeeter88

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
New Hartford, NY
OK, my chickens make this noise (not the usual 'cluck') but it's more of a scratchy growl, like eerrrrrRRrrrRRRrr. If I had to equate it to something, I'd say it's like an angry cat growl sort of noise. Does that make sense?

What are they trying to say when they do this noise? Also, does it have a name?

I'm too new at this to say for sure, but my birds usually mean "can't we play in the yard now?". If I get what you mean, they sound somewhat indignant.

Judith

My rooster does that and he also makes this very high pitch whistle sound.. it's cute.. when he does it i always think they are al having a conversation .lol

its called a growl,, and it means someone or something was bugging her when she wanted to lay an egg/ build nest/ or they also do it when they eat,,,,,it means,,, LEAVE ME ALONE!!! lol
wink.png

EDIT:ta add,, they also do it to the roo to tell him GO MAKE ME A NEST,, hehe

Last edited:
Yay! I'm glad people know what the heck I'm referring to! Right now I am not 100% sure which of mine are hens or roosters so I'm not sure who is doing it.

Isn't that the coffee pot sound? lol. Rusty makes it when someone is going to lay an egg. Actually, some of the other hens make it too!

here is Rusty doing it on video for Midnight.

first you hear Midnight whining because she needs to lay an egg.. then Rusty does his coffee pot imitation! lol

Back
Top Bottom