what is this on my game-cam?

Quote:
Exelent pictures indeed. Still, I'm amazed at the ability of this animal to trigger five photos without showing it's face once. Hope the camera is still out there catching more photos.

put a piece of christmas tinsel over the game cam if it is feline you will see its face if it is canine there will be no more pictures

Quote:
Well, actually, they are both from the same genus "Lynx", it just that the common name for the canadian lynx is "lynx" and the other species is called a bobcat.

Don't feel bad, there are many people who think they are the same animal. I had to educate a guide at a wildlife refuge once!

I grew up in Wisconsin and luckily have had the opportunity to see both in the wild.
wee.gif

It is pretty awesome to see them hunting.
If you get a good look at them, the canadian lynx is the one with the long hair spikes on its ears!
gig.gif

What will those canuk's think of next!
lol.png

Quote:
Exelent pictures indeed. Still, I'm amazed at the ability of this animal to trigger five photos without showing it's face once. Hope the camera is still out there catching more photos.

put a piece of christmas tinsel over the game cam if it is feline you will see its face if it is canine there will be no more pictures

Ok, so this sounds like a great tip, but I am not sure how or why it works. I assume you mean to drape one in front of the sensor or something? What does the tinsel do, exactly?

I won't make a definitive judgement as to the original photos, although they screamed feline to me right off the bat. Two years ago I was farm sitting for some friends of mine while they were on vacation. This was in NE Kansas, in a rural area, but mostly large tracts of farmland, not wilderness. Their house sits in the middle of an 8 acre field. When driving up to the house I scared something off that was in the kitchen garden behind the house. I jumped out of the truck and had a good long look at it as it ran across the field into the woods. It was bright daylight and was MOST definitely feline, had a long tail (not bobbed), was light tan in color, yet probably would have only come up to my knees or just above. It was long and "muscle-y" though so I would guess about 40 pounds. (before you say that house cats come up to your knees, also think about a basset hound or even Australian cattle dogs like the OP. Well muscled animals can be knee high but still quite dense.) All I am saying is that whatever I saw looked similar to the pictures of the OP, but wasn't in the 6-9 foot range that some people have sighted for cougars. I would imagine that food supply in a rural (but not wilderness) area could have something to do with it.

well everyone,i still have up the cam but no new animal pics.just possums ,coons and the neighbors dogs.i will keep trying tho.
wink.png

i love all the educational info.i am learning alot.i had never even heard of a jaguarundi until now.they are really kinda neat looking.

stay tuned-i will get something soon,i hope
fl.gif

Quote:
let me guess,you are a dog person.lol

Ok, I get it now. I do have a dog and a cat, but I think I should get my coffee on board before I check out your thread
lol.png

@ Chillin, I track cougar daily. I am a houndsman that chases wild cats with trained scent hounds. A good pack of hounds in an area with a solid population of lions can catch and tree a lion nearly every day. I live in Oregon and track wild cats throughout the west as a profession. Cougar studies use hounds to provide scientific evidence for research projects. You can google cougar research and learn about the recent cat the traveled West to East. The reason I know that the picture is a young cougar is because I see them every day. The tail gives it away. The coloring on the tail is cougar. Young cougar have some coloration in the coats usually spot-like that fades as they age. The females are more sleek looking and can weigh half as much as males. If you can find a track and take a picture with a measuring stick that would be further conformation. The cougar I saw in GA was 25 years ago when I was in the Army. I have skins of Male, female and juvenile cougar that can be used to compare if my word is not enough.
Sean

Back
Top Bottom