What is this on their foot?

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Looks like it has just started....not too far along...and only a few of the ducklings have it. I put some wound cleanser(Neosporin) on it, put some Neosporin on it, and added some antibiotic to the water. I think this started because I had them in VERY close quarters and the pine shaving bedding got damp and packed QUICK and I did have their water on 1/2" welded wire screen. They walk fairly well. It is mainly on the base of the foot and very occasionally it is seen on the 'toes' as seen in the 2nd photo.
76564_dsc00611.jpg

76564_dsc00610.jpg

Could be bumblefoot or a fungal infection. I use triple antibiotic two to three times a day for five weeks for bumblefoot. Tea tree oil or pau d'arco might help if it's fungal. You might check with a vet or animal rehabilitator about that.

Quote:
There is no black spot in the middle of the 'wart'. Where do you find Tea tree oil? Do you soak their feet in it?

Well, now that I have suggested you consider it, I am going to change my recommendation. I apologize for not being more thorough before bringing up the idea.

Apparently although it is supposed to be antifungal, ** tea tree oil can be toxic under certain conditions ** so something less risky would be better.

Can you contact a vet or wildlife rehabilitator who can recommend a safer antifungal?

edited to add:

Having looked around a bit, I see a suggestion for treating athlete's foot with apple cider vinegar. I know from experience a little ACV in their water does the ducks no harm, and it is said to be good for them. So dabbing their feet with ACV a couple or few times a day should not hurt, even if they nibble on the foot after treatment.

Now, as to whether it will work in this case, I cannot say.

An epsom salt compress may also be worth trying, but that would be more of a pain in the neck, since you would need to keep them from ingesting the epsom salts. But I have read that people use epsom salts with their ducks, but carefully since (if I recall correctly) it gives them diarrhea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom