What is this poo!?!

Kawkawkaye

Songster
Nov 23, 2017
Kimberley, Western Australia
C02CAF51-CE28-4064-AAEE-C8FCC22382F5.jpeg
Found this poop in the nesting box this morning, anyone know what it means?
Looking at it, it looks smooth and soft, but despite being fresh, the pinkish-white is very solid. The dab of brown on top is me trying and failing to poke through it with a stick.

I suspect one of my girls has worms, as she’s losing weight despite eating, and hasn’t laid in a week. I’m intending to treat her more thoroughly, but I put some apple cidar vinegar in their water last night (as a better than nothing), so could the avc have caused this? Or the worms themselves?

I’ve had a brief look around the internet for similar poos, but couldn’t pull up anything.

The suspects are isa browns, 1 1/2 years old. Other than the one mentioned chook, all seem healthy.

That is a lash egg, also called Salpingitis. It is caused by problems in the oviduct. I hate to say it, but it doesn't look too good. The only advice I can give is to give her amoxicillin, but I'm not sure on dosage

That is a lash egg, also called Salpingitis. It is caused by problems in the oviduct. I hate to say it, but it doesn't look too good. The only advice I can give is to give her amoxicillin, but I'm not sure on dosage
Thank you, I actually just stumbled onto an article about lash eggs and was about to edit my post to include it as a possibility. I will now be looking into it further 😔

Is the lash egg likely to have come from my underweight hen?

I’m seeing a lot of mixed messages online, about contagiousness and outlook.
How does it spread, so that I can effectively clean my pen, and reduce the chance of it spreading through my flock?

Is the lash egg likely to have come from my underweight hen?

I’m seeing a lot of mixed messages online, about contagiousness and outlook.
How does it spread, so that I can effectively clean my pen, and reduce the chance of it spreading through my flock?

Lash egg is from an infection inside the hen's reproductive tract.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

The technical term is called salpingitis, and can cause weight loss and other symptoms.

Cutting it in half can tell you if it's a lash egg or not, yes. The link I provided has images of a bisected lash egg to give you a better idea of what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom