What is this snake ,Please. *mystery solved! :o)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that if it was an "accident" I should tender my apology. I guess I should explain that almost all snake events here, report dead snakes. Snakes eat mice; when they get big enough they can and do eat eggs and small chickens.
If any of us just take a moment and think about what factors encourage mice and rats. (open grain, hey) Then think about the money or time involved in purchasing traps or poisen. The time it takes to set traps or poisen, and then the basic risk of your birds eating contaminated food or (secondary poisening) mice you would make better choices.
This is how I see it; While they are small and eating mice they are named Welcome. When they eat their first clutch of eggs thats the price I pay for the great work they have done. But those eggs are a going away present. I relocate them.
I live in the country because I enjoy the country.
I have never been really good with salting my words with diplomacy. So if I have encouraged a little thought towards some acceptable snake conservation Great. And please accept my apology.

Quote:
No problem!
hugs.gif
I was just grumpy yesterday...
lol.png

Quote:
I am going to be real mean and make no apologies.

Edited to remove flaming. Please refer to The Rules:
Do's
* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.
Don'ts
3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)

I have been a snake wrangler my entire life. I live in an area heavily populated with copperheads. They have never done me any harm. I had a landlord several years back who never saw them until I moved in. I went out during the cicada hatch at night and could find 1 to 5 copperheads each night within 10 feet of the house. They dont want anything to do with you. It is pointless sadistic violence to kill them since there will always be more anyway. Learn to live with all of natures creatures.

As for big snakes, if they cant get in your chicken house they cant eat your eggs. Take the time to build it snake tight. Keep young chicks somewhere safe or just accept that your local rat patrol is going to collect some protection taxes. A good guard dog may also do the trick. If you have children, instead of giving them video games to rot their brains send them out to shepherd the flock a couple of hours a day, patrolling the grounds, looking for any problems. Guineas will exterminate snakes for food, if you really must be snake free, this is acceptable to me. However you better have food well conjtained from rodents give feed directly to the birds on open ground, make shure there are no morsels to feed rodents and eliminate unnecessary hiding places. It is better to embrace snakes. If they are attracted to your coop but cant get in they will be hungry for any rodent that approaches. Sometimes your local snake can become accustomed to your pressence and will continue sunning himself on his rock as you walk by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom