What is this sore?

unhitched

Chirping
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside, CA
is this Avian Pox? or just some sore that got infected? I have like 6 turkeys and 15 pheasants living in the cage and this turkey has had this for several weeks. I am not sure what to do about it, I would love suggestions.
IMG_6483.jpeg

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
6 month old heritage turkey, seems pretty similar in size/weight to the others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
seems normal other than this nasty looking sore

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2-3 weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
nope

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
nothing i can think of

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I feed mostly nutrena game bird chow

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal poops.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
nothing

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
open

is this Avian Pox? or just some sore that got infected? I have like 6 turkeys and 15 pheasants living in the cage and this turkey has had this for several weeks. I am not sure what to do about it, I would love suggestions.View attachment 1602250
It does not look like fowl pox. It does look like an infection. It probably needs to be lanced and the infected core removed by pretty much following the directions for treating bumblefoot.

Good luck.

@casportpony

Doesn't look like fowl pox. My guess is a foreign body got stuck in there and caused that swelling. I would squeeze it out and see if you can't take the swelling down a bit and hopefully remove whatever is stuck in there. It could be a sliver, foxtail, or any number of other things.

It does not look like fowl pox. It does look like an infection. It probably needs to be lanced and the infected core removed by pretty much following the directions for treating bumblefoot.

Good luck.

@casportpony
I agree, looks like an infection that needs to have the mass of pus removed.

Back
Top Bottom