What is this? The strangest colored chicken we've seen

stirkrazy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
North east ohio
We got a dozen chicks a few months ago. Most of them are a black and grey color except this one. Very nice coloring and i often think it looks more like a falcon than a chicken. In fact, that's her name, falcon lol.

I will try to get a better picture

Better pics would really help. One showing the comb and a few showing a side profile so we can see the feather pattern, body shape and leg color.

Could you elaborate on the rooster part please. We've raised alot of chicks and I haven't seen anything from it that has made me think it was a rooster. Not saying that it couldn't be though. She/he is about 5 months old

That coloring is a typical Easter Egger roo color..I like to call it calico since it's a mix of blotchy red, white, black and gray. It may have a specific name which I haven't come across yet. Easter Eggers usually, but not always have a beard, muff, pea comb, and dark greenish brown legs. Since yours has a single comb rather than a pea comb he might not carry the blue egg gene though. You will know he has the gene if his progeny lay a blue egg. If he doesn't carry the blue egg gene then he's not an Easter Egger but a pretty crossbred Heinz 57 type bird. Typically an EE roo will have dark red patches of feathers on it's shoulders like yours does. He also has some nice cascading saddle feathers growing in in front of his tail and he has a few beetle green/black sickle feathers just growing into his tail. I would give that bird another 4 to 6 weeks and it will probably switch from a Tweety bird sweetheart maybe pullet into a crowing,raging, testosterone laden, Tasmanian Devil, evil thing, you don't know what hit you type of thing rooster....lol. Of course sometimes they turn out to be much gentler and not quite so bad. When my Dark Cornish Rooster hit puberty, it wasn't a fun thing.
smile.png

Last edited:
Lol! You are welcome. So you know all about roos but just not that color pattern. I'm so used to giving info to newer owners who have never had a roo or chickens before so I have a tendency to over explain everything. Good thing you have a lot of room for him to roam on your farm. He looks like he is going to turn into a really beautiful roo.
smile.png

Lol! You are welcome. So you know all about roos  but just not that color pattern. I'm so used to  giving info to newer owners who have never had a roo or chickens before so I have a tendency to over explain everything. Good thing you have a lot of room for him to roam on your farm. He  looks like he is going to turn into a really beautiful roo.:)

The way I see it is I'll never know everything. So an in depth explanation is very welcomed. And yes, we usually hatch our own and get rid of the roos when they make themselves known lol. But someone gave these to us so I didn't recognize him for what he is. Thx again

Back
Top Bottom