what is this tiny chick?

I do not have much hope for him. I just found we have his doppelganger in the mix of chicks in the brooder.... it is huge compared to him. I think this is a failure to thrive chick. When wet we were remarking that he has wing feathers but is only slightly larger than a newly hatched coturnix quail. Will do all we can for him, but he may have just been doomed from the start. :(

Attachments

• 20190316_012719.jpg
    20190316_012719.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 15
Photo from this morning. He is muchly improved. We were expecting to find him dead this AM, but nope! He is a survivor. Not out of the woods yet but WOW what a huge improvement overnight. Woo hoo little guy! You can do it!

0316191115a.jpg

Still hanging in, still weak. Eating, drinking, being trampled and knocked over, getting back up again. Gave him some more nutridrench today and have just generally been keeping an eye out for him all day. Seems no matter what I do he keeps being knocked over. Sometimes he gets up, other times decides to take a nap on his back? Idk. Always when he chooses not to get up there are other chicks lying down around him already, and when poked gently he gets up on his own, only occasionally does he get like a turtle on its back and need a bit of help. Still small weak and on the wobbly side, but we aren't going to give up until he does. Any other tips? We added liquid B-12 + vit. K to the water, plus a few squirts of nutridrench and some vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic powder we just picked up that has vit. E in it. Have seen him drinking since adding that to the water.

Back
Top Bottom