what is this variety of ameracauna called?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OCchickens, Jun 14, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    l saw another chicken that looked exactly like mine this weekend -- I know she's an ameracauna but not sure what you call this color/variety. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I'm at it -- what variety is this young male ameracuana?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd say the roo is a brown/red and the pullet maybe a blue/red?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pullet almost looks like an EE to me.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The pullet is an easter egger. The cockerel looks similar to a wheaten, but I believe it is probably an easter egger also as he is just not quite right.

5. I had an ameraucana of the same variety as the first one, but I didn't know the variety. Here she is:

[​IMG]

Also, not to stray from the topic, or anything, but in case some ameraucana expert comes along, I want them to also take a whack at the variety of mine, too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Your bird is an easter egger also. This color is a prominant one that I have seen, but to my knowledge there is no name for it.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    pips&peeps :

The pullet is an easter egger. The cockerel looks similar to a wheaten, but I believe it is probably an easter egger also as he is just not quite right.

You've taught me well Jean!​

8. OCchickens

OCchickens Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    THanks everyone!

Actually the eggs were sold to me as EE's -- I was just confused & thinking EE's were the same as Ameracaunas.

Can anyone enlighten me on the distinction? Are there different color patterns of EE's, & do they have names?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  9. pips&peeps :

Quote:Your bird is an easter egger also. This color is a prominant one that I have seen, but to my knowledge there is no name for it.

I ordered them from Ideal as "Ameraucana" and I don't think Ideal even sells EEs. And yeah, as OCchickens asked, what the heck is the difference between ameraucanas and EE's? They both have beards and muffs and lay colored eggs, so, how on earth can you tell the difference? I used to (and I'm sure many other people also) believe that EE is just another name for Ameraucana. That's what it says on Ideal Poultry, but I've learned otherwise from BYC.

And I've got more questions for pips&peeps:
    I've seen some non-bearded EE's, and other strangely colored ones...are EE's just mutts that lay colored eggs?

How many varieties do Ameraucanas and EE's come in?
    Please tell me all about EE's!

And about ameraucanas-

I know they are in the "micellaneous" class, but where did they originate?​

10. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Songster

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    EE's don't have any specific color names unfortunately. So, maybe as a BYC body we should give names to all the colors EE's come in.

That's part of what distinguishes an EE from an Amerucana, whether they are a recognized color or not.

This is a link to a more developed answer it gives all the differences beetween Araucana, Ameraucana, and EE's.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: