what is this?? what happened??

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
89426_img01508-20110830-1745.jpg

The last 2 days I noticed my hen has laid in her nest for an hour or more but hasn't produced an egg. She seems normal otherwise except woke up with a dirty butt this morning (which I cleaned up for her). When my husband got home this evening he was cleaning out the coop and noticed this egg-thing. Its a yellow jelly like egg and what looks like a soft shell that was about a foot away. And there were yellowish streaks all over the floor of the coop.
She has only been laying for about a week and has laid 3 normal small eggs. I have one other hen who I don't believe is laying yet.

Any idea what happened? Is she going to be ok? Anything I need to do for her? Poor thing!!

We had something similar happen, though I don't have photos to show. Our Golden Comet laid 6 perfect eggs in a row the first week she started laying. Then, I found something similar to your photo in the coop. The next day she didn't lay. The first egg after that was really brittle, but since then, every egg she has laid has been perfect. I think, in our case, the heat may have had something to do with it. But I think it also takes them a while to get everything worked out.

Back
Top Bottom