What is this? Worried!

Sodell

Chirping
Oct 7, 2018
Casa Grande, AZ
3B2BFE27-EB54-4058-971F-58B2733F94EF.jpeg
25ED499E-9D9F-4594-840E-4FE6FCD82CD4.jpeg
Help need to know what this is and how to treat it before it kills my flock

Can I treat them in anyway? We had some flooding last month and mosquitos were quite bad this summer. I’m a little worried cause I just moved my young ones in the same coop with him. I just separated him but may be to late. I just inspected a two of my other coops and they seem to have small black bumps as well. Had a bad chicken day today. It was hatch day and our electric and water went out from 8am to 2:30pm. Only have 1 egg that hatched and he probably hatched this morning. Worried about my baby chicks outside my hatching chicks and my grown-ups. I have a lot of fancy breeds.

Mosquitos were terrible a lot of places this year. We've never had them so bad. They transmit the virus.
I would support the flock with a little extra nutrition. I ferment my feed so it is easy for me to add a few drops of nutri-drench per bird into the feed before putting it in the trough. Keep an eye on the sores to make sure they don't show signs of a secondary infection. Treat them with a little Vetericyn if they look bad. That's about it. It can take several weeks to clear up. But then they will be immune for life.
I'm hoping some of the experts chime in. Maybe everyone is prepping for Thanksgiving dinner like I should be doing right now!

Yes, I agree that looks like fowl pox, although the first picture was hard to guess. The second picture has the usual scabs. Pox lasts about 3 weeks if there are no complications. Make sure that she is eating and drinking well, since the wet form of pox can cause lesions inside the mouth and throat, making eating difficult. Do not disturb scabs, since that can spread the disease. If you have room to separarte any birds with the pox virus, it can help to prevent the spread bird to bird. Try to get rid of standing water where mosquito larvae grow, and consider spraying your coop with permethrin, which is safe for chickens. Here is a good link to read all about pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Check around for standing water & drain it. Is it possible to spray the area around the coop/run with bug spray? Looks to be dry pox, which will run it's course. The teenagers/adults should be ok, my concern are your "young ones" ... How young? I've lost chicks to mosquitos :hit

Check around for standing water & drain it. Is it possible to spray the area around the coop/run with bug spray? Looks to be dry pox, which will run it's course. The teenagers/adults should be ok, my concern are your "young ones" ... How young? I've lost chicks to mosquitos :hit
There haven’t been any mosquitoes around for the last month. My young ones are about 3-4 months and just were moved to the bigger coop to make room for babies.

Definitely looks like dry fowl pox.

As others have stated you can only treat the symptoms. There’s two forms of pox, and you’re lucky this is the variety that has shown it’s ugly head around you.

It is highly contagious and takes a few weeks to run it’s course. It’s spread through bodily fluids and mosquitoes are the main carrier.

You can put veterycin on the scabs if they begin draining. Be extra weary of secondary infections. Fortunately it only takes about 10 days for the scabs to fall off. They’re still contagious after that. Birds that have already had it may not get the same strand again.

There IS a vaccine for it relatively cheap for any incoming poultry to your flock in the future. Once it’s in the flock, it’s always there. It’s about $12 for 1000 doses.

Back
Top Bottom