What is this?

leighschickens

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 25, 2015
I 'm new at chicken care. I read about molting, but my girl seems to both be molting and has something wrong with her wings. The feathery part is off but the shaft of the wing feather is still there. It looks like you were taking it and making a pen out of the end,all the soft stuff is gone.
Is this a normal Molt? There is a huge amount of feathers in the coop. Nothing can get at them and she is the only one with this issue.

also she seems thinner then the rest. I tried feeding her apart from the others she wanted no part of that.

It could be the other girls picking at her. They will sometimes eat their own feathers or feathers of others. You can also look for mites or lice. I've never delt with feather eating so hopefully someone else will chime in.

If you are concerned she's not eating you can try giving her some mash. Wet whatever food you give her with water till it's wet enough to almost make a dough. Wet but not soggy. Most chickens go crazy for mash.

Have you wormed the flock recently? It's possible that her weight loss could be attributed to a increased wormload.

The nice vet said she is molting and is in a "fowl" mood. Change her feed to grower feed mixed with extra protein and she should shape up in no time.

Back
Top Bottom