1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leighschickens, Nov 4, 2016.

1. leighschickens

leighschickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    I 'm new at chicken care. I read about molting, but my girl seems to both be molting and has something wrong with her wings. The feathery part is off but the shaft of the wing feather is still there. It looks like you were taking it and making a pen out of the end,all the soft stuff is gone.[​IMG]
    Is this a normal Molt? There is a huge amount of feathers in the coop. Nothing can get at them and she is the only one with this issue.

2. leighschickens

Aug 25, 2015
    also she seems thinner then the rest. I tried feeding her apart from the others she wanted no part of that.

3. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    It could be the other girls picking at her. They will sometimes eat their own feathers or feathers of others. You can also look for mites or lice. I've never delt with feather eating so hopefully someone else will chime in.

If you are concerned she's not eating you can try giving her some mash. Wet whatever food you give her with water till it's wet enough to almost make a dough. Wet but not soggy. Most chickens go crazy for mash.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is she?
    She could just have a genetic defect causing funky feathers.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try adding more Protein to the diet...Grower Crumbles work.....If its not mites? Feather eating can become a real bad habit....

Cheers!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Have you wormed the flock recently? It's possible that her weight loss could be attributed to a increased wormload.

7. leighschickens

Aug 25, 2015
    The nice vet said she is molting and is in a "fowl" mood. Change her feed to grower feed mixed with extra protein and she should shape up in no time.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great - always good to know a vet with experience in chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by