What is this?

ODchickens

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
I've had a couple of my hens have this problem. One lasted about 2 months and then dies. The other only lasted about 10 days.
IMG_4184.JPG

If this should happen again does anyone know what it is and how to treat it?
The hens seemed to be fine except for the big (tumor) on the back end.
Thanks for help.
Owen

If it is firm/hard then it's likely internal laying, salpingitis or a cancer. If it's water balloon like then it's ascites (fluid in the abdomen) which can also happen with the issues above, or from organ failure. Usually it's associated with a reproductive problem in laying hens, not uncommon, and most of the time there is really not an effective treatment, especially when it's advanced. Mostly it's an issue of their comfort until they pass or you decide to euthanize. A necropsy of the bird in question would be the best way to know for sure what is going on. So sorry for your losses.

I have no personal experience (at least yet) with Marek's so don't know if this would be associated with it. All of mine have been salpingitis or cancer, one that had heart/liver failure.
you are right though a necropsy would be the way to find out.

Many colleges have a department you can send birds in for Necropsy.... You can find where in the department of agriculture ...

IN California UC Davis is one.

deb

If it is firm/hard then it's likely internal laying, salpingitis or a cancer. If it's water balloon like then it's ascites (fluid in the abdomen) which can also happen with the issues above, or from organ failure. Usually it's associated with a reproductive problem in laying hens, not uncommon, and most of the time there is really not an effective treatment, especially when it's advanced. Mostly it's an issue of their comfort until they pass or you decide to euthanize. A necropsy of the bird in question would be the best way to know for sure what is going on. So sorry for your losses.
I agree with @coach723
A lot depends on how it feels, but unfortunately you never know what's in there until they die and you investigate further.

Some hens can have a swollen abdomen for quite a long time and get along o.k. while others decline rapidly.
How does the abdomen feel? IF it has fluid in it, you can try draining it to give her some relief IF she starts to decline or is having respiratory distress.

If it's hard, it could be a number of things from Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Internal Laying to Salpingitis.

The only thing you can do is monitor her, see that she's eating/drinking. If you lose her, sending the body to your state lab will give you answers. Alternatively, you can perform one yourself. Look at the abdomen, reproductive system and organs. Take photos and post them, we will help you with what you see.

Thanks for reply's. It was soft like a balloon to the touch. I did not do a Necropsy so I have no idea what it looked like inside.

Thanks for reply's. It was soft like a balloon to the touch. I did not do a Necropsy so I have no idea what it looked like inside.
I understand.
For some the thought of looking further can be unsettling. If you lose another that has a similar condition, you may want to consider it.

Back
Top Bottom