What is this?

I’m all but sure it’s logging/firewood related...

I get a forestry catalog and I recognize it from there... but without looking I wouldn’t know what it’s exact name is.... does it work well?
Ding Ding! Yes, log tongs! They're wonderful. Here's someone's video demo-ing them--they're good for small chunks too, and you can easily release the chunks mid air with a kind of throwing movement....

Here’s one for you horse people... I think I know the answer but I might be wrong...

So I have this shoe hanging above the door on my coop... I found it... somewhere... I don’t recall where now...

... but it has a unique shape ( note the way the end on the left curves out) and four “nubs” ...

.... what was the design purpose of this shoe?

EAE20230-2426-4121-AAAF-C56CF815ED75.jpeg
9FB0396E-8D3B-4220-92D1-2A81393AC8E4.jpeg

Here’s one for you horse people... I think I know the answer but I might be wrong...

So I have this shoe hanging above the door on my coop... I found it... somewhere... I don’t recall where now...

... but it has a unique shape ( note the way the end on the left curves out) and four “nubs” ...

.... what was the design purpose of this shoe?

View attachment 1772018 View attachment 1772020
maybe for ice gripping?

I was going to say logging shoes .. I thought ice shoes where pointier..
Not sure these help my case though.View attachment 1772139View attachment 1772144

I wonder if they were used for logging (mud ) and ice?

My dad used to have a rubber padded horseshoe that was used on horses pulling milk wagons ...

... the idea being that when the milk was being delivered in the early hours of the morning there was no clip-clopping on the cobblestones to be heard through the open windows ( no air conditioning back then) to wake all the people...

...not sure what happened to that one, and I don’t recall how the rubber was attached?... but it was interesting.

I wonder if they were used for logging (mud ) and ice?

My dad used to have a rubber padded horseshoe that was used on horses pulling milk wagons ...

... the idea being that when the milk was being delivered in the early hours of the morning there was no clip-clopping on the cobblestones to be heard through the open windows ( no air conditioning back then) to wake all the people...

...not sure what happened to that one, and I don’t recall how the rubber was attached?... but it was interesting.

Rubber was required on tar roads in some places to stop the shoes from destroying the roads.

Well maybe that was it... the milk wagon was the story I got....

...do you happen to know how the rubber was attached?

I was wondering if it was screwed on like the cleats somehow.
I do not know..I assumed riveted but who knows.. I doubt vulcanizing would hold the rubber on..

I think getting rubber to stay on hard surfaces is a lost art. Even the steel valve stems in rubber inner tubes seems to fail.

Back
Top Bottom