What is this??

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
There has been this bump on my silkie rooster’s beak for the past few weeks or so, and I paid little mind to it since he didn’t seem bothered by it at all. I figured that I shouldn’t bother it when it isn’t hurting him.

Well, it seemed to have bursted/popped/torn, and it was bleeding when I found him. He refuses to eat from the seed bowl he has for breakfast, and I’m feeding him canned green beans (which he likes very much). He doesn’t like me messing with it, and is still sensitive in that area, but he is eating and drinking when offered to him. I have no idea how he would hurt his bump, other than him or the girls scratching it.

Is it something I should be concerned about? Does it look like it would be a tumor or cancerous? Should I keep him away from the girls?

(Side, lighthearted note: with how many times I’ve posted about Blue’s injuries on BYC, people would think I abuse this poor chicken, when he just has a nack for getting himself hurt lol)

Attachments

• FF9ED6B8-4C36-4358-BB09-92DBED4DFF29.jpeg
    FF9ED6B8-4C36-4358-BB09-92DBED4DFF29.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 5D90B377-3CD4-4669-B7B3-62BF611B028E.jpeg
    5D90B377-3CD4-4669-B7B3-62BF611B028E.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 14
There has been this bump on my silkie rooster’s beak for the past few weeks or so, and I paid little mind to it since he didn’t seem bothered by it at all. I figured that I shouldn’t bother it when it isn’t hurting him.

Well, it seemed to have bursted/popped/torn, and it was bleeding when I found him. He refuses to eat from the seed bowl he has for breakfast, and I’m feeding him canned green beans (which he likes very much). He doesn’t like me messing with it, and is still sensitive in that area, but he is eating and drinking when offered to him. I have no idea how he would hurt his bump, other than him or the girls scratching it.

Is it something I should be concerned about? Does it look like it would be a tumor or cancerous? Should I keep him away from the girls?

(Side, lighthearted note: with how many times I’ve posted about Blue’s injuries on BYC, people would think I abuse this poor chicken, when he just has a nack for getting himself hurt lol)
When you go under his feathers, does he feel like he could have a fever?

I think you would need a vet take a look at him and a possible biopsy taken to determine that.

Side, lighthearted note: with how many times I’ve posted about Blue’s injuries on BYC, people would think I abuse this poor chicken, when he just has a nack for getting himself hurt lol)
Could you please trim back his head feathers to allow for unobstructed view? Maybe he would not be so prone to accidentally get hurt if he was able to see clearly.

Does he have the lower mandible longer than the upper part or is it just the angle?

Not really sure about the bump besides the same old keep it clean and keep an eye on it, but just wanted to give a warning about greenbeans. They have added salt, which I've heard is bad for birds
Thank you, I will be careful with the green beans. What about canned corn, since it’s easier to get in his beak?

I think you would need a vet take a look at him and a possible biopsy taken to determine that.

Could you please trim back his head feathers to allow for unobstructed view? Maybe he would not be so prone to accidentally get hurt if he was able to see clearly.

Does he have the lower mandible longer than the upper part or is it just the angle?
Will do :)!

His lower beak is longer than his upper beak, but that’s because it hasn’t been trimmed in a while, and we plan to do that once we get his bump under control (he has scissor beak if that’s what you’re asking)

I agree with @LaFleche .
I would trim his beak, I would not wait to do that. Instead of giving him canned vegetables I would use a regular balanced feed (flock raiser or all flock since he's a boy and doesn't lay) and moisten it with water to make a mash so it's easier for him to eat with the scissor beak. An open and deeper dish will also help him scoop it up. Some birds like it sticky, like thick oatmeal, others like it runnier, so experiment. Raise it up on a concrete block or something, that will be easier for him than ground level. Most birds enjoy their feed made into a mash. Also do trim that crest so he can see better.
It's very hard to say if the bump is an injury, deformity or possibly a growth. If it gets bigger with time, then makes a growth more likely. Beak injuries are not uncommon, catching on feeders or wire sometimes, or fights. Since he has scissor beak that may be a contributing factor if he's having trouble feeding, along with maybe not being able to see well.

I agree with @LaFleche .
I would trim his beak, I would not wait to do that. Instead of giving him canned vegetables I would use a regular balanced feed (flock raiser or all flock since he's a boy and doesn't lay) and moisten it with water to make a mash so it's easier for him to eat with the scissor beak. An open and deeper dish will also help him scoop it up. Some birds like it sticky, like thick oatmeal, others like it runnier, so experiment. Raise it up on a concrete block or something, that will be easier for him than ground level. Most birds enjoy their feed made into a mash. Also do trim that crest so he can see better.
It's very hard to say if the bump is an injury, deformity or possibly a growth. If it gets bigger with time, then makes a growth more likely. Beak injuries are not uncommon, catching on feeders or wire sometimes, or fights. Since he has scissor beak that may be a contributing factor if he's having trouble feeding, along with maybe not being able to see well.
Thank you, will do! I’ll see to his beak+feathers as soon as I can, and I’ll keep an update on how he is doing :))

Back
Top Bottom