What is This?

Lrpete

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Yesterday I butchered some meat birds and two 3yo ducks. The hen had stopped laying eggs, or was only laying one every few weeks, and the drake was actually mounting my chickens and chasing them around the yard. He was becoming so disruptive in the yard that I decided he needed to go And I wasn’t going to leave the hen alone. So, when I dressed her, she had a fully formed egg that looked she was ready to lay it. As I pulled the entrails out, I found one yolk and about 5 of these round things. I cut one open and found a hard black mass inside which I also cut open. It looked like a small hard yolk with a bunch of black stuff around it. I’m mad at myself for not taking a picture of THAT part! 🤦‍♀️ Anyway, I’ve never seen this before and have no idea what it is. It almost looks like eggs that didn’t develop, but how did they get into this hard black mass situation?

Attachments

• C0471CBA-E2CA-4FFB-962F-AA16226B498E.jpeg
    C0471CBA-E2CA-4FFB-962F-AA16226B498E.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 49
  • CF0755E6-4DD9-488A-B7AD-4AFA2F3FD9B7.jpeg
    CF0755E6-4DD9-488A-B7AD-4AFA2F3FD9B7.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 988DBEB9-149D-4E56-9C52-97F1ED850131.jpeg
    988DBEB9-149D-4E56-9C52-97F1ED850131.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 13
That's so weird!!! I wish I knew people to tag but pretty much everyone here has pet ducks. Did it stink?

Not at all. It was just really weird. Like a small marble size piece of what looked like a hard boiled yolk and this very strange blackish-red lumpy stuff. The contents were very firm.
That's so weird!!! I wish I knew people to tag but pretty much everyone here has pet ducks. Did it stink?

I have no idea, but my guess would be some sort of gallstones🤷
No, I don’t think so. Gallstones are like small rocks. These are all tissue, very firm tissue. After I slipped the outer tissue off, I cut the black material in half. I wish I would have taken a picture of it because it looked like it had a small bit of hard yolk with blackish red tissue around it. I’m thinking they’re yolks gone bad, but can’t figure out how or why it would have happened. My guess is they’re been in the reproductive track for a while.

No, I don’t think so. Gallstones are like small rocks. These are all tissue, very firm tissue. After I slipped the outer tissue off, I cut the black material in half. I wish I would have taken a picture of it because it looked like it had a small bit of hard yolk with blackish red tissue around it. I’m thinking they’re yolks gone bad, but can’t figure out how or why it would have happened. My guess is they’re been in the reproductive track for a while.
Contrary to popular belief just because they are labeled as "gallstones" does not mean they are all rock like as some can actually be soft. However, like I said before it was just a guess. Do you know exactly where you found them anatomically speaking? I know you said entrails, but that covers a broad spectrum of possible locations.

Back
Top Bottom