What is this?

pasknucklehead

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hi folks, haven't been on awhile, glad to be back. Here's the deal. One of my girls was all caked up on her behind, so I brought her indoors to get her backside cleaned. She's lacking quite a few feathers in the backside, but she is molting so that's not bothering me. But when I looked at her backside, I noticed that some of her rectum, if that's what it's called, was protruding out. So I gentle used a warm cloth and pushed it ever so gently pushed it back in and that sort of worked. But here's the scary part, when I picked her up to dry her off, this, whatever came out if her. I hope I can post the picture. I don't know what the heck it could be. It actually looked like a piece of cooked chicken breast and very soft. I pulled it apart and I don't know what the insides of it is either. And then to top it all off, as I was holding her waiting to get her dry, an egg fell out of her. No shell, just a nice egg yolk as if I would have just cracked it open on my floor. Please let me know so I can run out and tell Penelope, that's her name,
IMG_20210925_180652878.jpg
what has happened to her!😁

Hi folks, thankyou all for responding and appreciate the welcome back. I love Penelope so and can't afford the surgery, what should I do? I can't cull her. Is it inhumane to let her live out the days or is she in terrible pain.? She still comes running when she sees me and that was this morning. I don't know what to do

There is no need for surgery. I certainly would not spend money for expensive surgery, and no vet around here would do surgery anyway. Spaying a chicken is very risky. Many hens may suffer from internal laying after the age of 2-3. Lash egg material is common, and though I have never seen any in my coop or nest boxes, I have done necropsies on quite a few with salpingitis and internal laying who had masses inside their abdominal cavities after death. Just let her live as normal a live as she can. She may live a few more years.

Welcome to active posting (I see you've been a member since 2016). I suspect Penelope has a reproductive tract infection. That blob that came looks like a "lash egg". Is a vet an option?
I really wish, but not for surgery. We've taken a few in to be euthanize because they were really sick and I couldn't just stand by and watch. But I know it will really be expensive and with the pandemic, I'm still out of work. I hate this.

There is no need for surgery. I certainly would not spend money for expensive surgery, and no vet around here would do surgery anyway. Spaying a chicken is very risky. Many hens may suffer from internal laying after the age of 2-3. Lash egg material is common, and though I have never seen any in my coop or nest boxes, I have done necropsies on quite a few with salpingitis and internal laying who had masses inside their abdominal cavities after death. Just let her live as normal a live as she can. She may live a few more years.
I'm soooo happy you answered and now I have hope. I just came in from outside and she's chasing some of the chickens, like she usually does, to see what they have. Thank you so much. These chickens just tug at your heartstrings don't they!❣️ Thankyou so much for getting right back to me.😁😁😁😁

Back
Top Bottom