What is this?

chickmamato7

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
One of my Polish hens has been releasing these on an fairly regular basis. She is almost a year old and the only one with laying issues. There is plenty of calcium available and my girls are fed 18% developer. Any thoughts? Should I be worried about her health or is this just a genetic anomaly she can live with?

Attachments

• IMG_7538.JPG
    IMG_7538.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 4
What is the type of available calcium you give the hens?

Sometimes it just isn't enough and a stronger temporary calcium supplement is necessary to "reset" a hen's system.

Have you opened up any of the membranes to see if any yolk is in it? That is crucial information that may mean an antibiotic is also required.

Get some of this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Give one tablet immediately and one per day whole directly into the beak. She will have no trouble swallowing it. Continue until she has good quality shells.

Thank you for responding. I use oyster shells for laying hens, which are always available and in multiple locations. I opened the sac and what's inside is clear, with no yolk. Most of it was runny like in an egg, but some was a bit thicker. I have that kind of calcium in my first aid kit. Will take care of her in the morning. Thanks again!

I have another question regarding my egg issue. How will I know if antibiotics are needed & what kind/dosage would be appropriate for an avg-sized Polish hen? I realized after my first post that she has been exhibiting other symptoms for the past week, like not keeping herself clean, hanging for long periods in the nesting box, and dropping clear, watery poops. I did get her to take the Calcium tab (way easier than I thought it would be!), so I will see how things go today. I just want to be able to recognize infection & prepare for the next step if she needs something more. Thank you!

Update: No improvement with the calcium tab. Gave her another tab this morning, but she continues to sit in the nesting box for long periods. Found another long thing that looks exactly like the last one, only this time it was all yolk inside. Does not appear that it broke inside her, but it did break open a little in the nest box. I will check her vent in the morning, as I didn't notice this until after dark while doing the last egg collection. Should I just go ahead with the antibiotics or keep giving her calcium tabs for a few more days? She is eating and drinking and not acting uncomfortable or sick.

Keep up with the calcium. These reproductive issues can take much longer sometimes than anyone expects. You will know when all is well again when her behavior reverts back to her normal.

No need for the antibiotic at this time. But keep it handy.

The calcium needs to be given until her eggs are coming out with good shells.

Back
Top Bottom