What is this??

I wouldn’t cut them… it’s sort of like the quick of your finger nail—you can trim them, but if you go too far then it will probably bleed. I think that when people want to dull them down they usually use a nail file, but I could be wrong because I’ve never had issues or had to do this before. May I ask why do you want to cut them?

Usually that doesn’t happen, ESPECIALLY in hens. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. If they do start getting long, you can always file them down later. Of course, you CAN do it now, but you don’t really need to.

It's spur and not that uncommon to be seen in hens.

If the spur becomes really long and bothers her is begins to grow up and into the side of the leg, of course you can file it down or trim it just like you would for a rooster.

You could try a flat file, or if you have one, a Dremel tool with a small sanding/buffing wheel would work great. I use one on my dog’s nails frequently & it is amazing.

Highly unlikely it'll get that long. I've never had to file/trim one of my rooster's/cockerel's spurs, so I don't think that you'll run into that problem. If you do run into that problem though, you could cut the tip and file it down of course

Back
Top Bottom