What is this?????

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Found the little tiny blue/green egg in my duck's stall this am. As you can see, it is tiny. The outside is kind of pebbly. I have never had one of my ducks lay anything but off white eggs. IS this a duck egg? If not, what is it? And no one can answer this, but where the heck did it come from.
I have three hens. One must be laying somewhere else, because I only get two eggs every morning. Unless one is not laying any more. No idea. But I really would like to know what this little egg is. I have never seen anything like it come out of any of my ducks.

100_0539.jpg

I have no chickens! I have three female ducks, one Runner, one Pekin and one small cross of some sort. But the little one lays way bigger eggs than that! And a Runner drake, and I am pretty sure he didn't lay it! LOL

I would say it is an egg of a cow bird. Do you have birds that look like starlings or red winged birds, only that they are brown or black? These birds make nests on the ground, but they also dump their eggs everywhere like ducks do. In a typical nest you will find 2-3 eggs, and extra eggs are disposed of.

Yeah, it does kinda look like a cowbird egg. Silly cowbirds! That's pretty dumb of them to lay an egg in a nest where the parents don't feed their young. Once the ducklings leave the nest, their bird gets left behind. Maybe they were desperate.

Hmmm, I haven't seen cowbirds around here for a long long time. And I have never seen one come in our barn. This was on the floor, just sitting there next to the bowl of oyster shells. Our barn is small, not a huge old barn, we rarely have any birds in it. This is so strange. But I guess anything is possible.
idunno.gif

Cow birds are nosy and they do fly into barns. I have found their eggs next to the ducks water and food bowls last year. They are not quite ready to nest in my neck of the woods yet. Will be another 2-3 weeks.

Here we have birds that will take eggs out of other bird's nests and "drop" them to kill them. Our Blue Jays are notorious for doing it to the Robins here.
sad.png
You can find a little blue/green Robin egg in the middle of the yard, where there are no trees anywhere NEAR it, and sometimes there will be a tiny hole in it where the Jay grabbed it. Sometimes they get smashed in the "drops", sometimes cracked, other times they look perfectly fine except for the tiny hole. Maybe something raided a wild bird nest and happened to drop it at the duck nest?

Back
Top Bottom