What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
Ok I went out yesterday to check on my horses and as I was walking by I happened to look over and saw this thing in weeds, I thought this was just to wierd of a bird not to catch. So I ran and got my net and it let me walk up to him and everything I put the net over him and grabbed him behind his neck so he couldn't turn around and stabb me. I put him in an extra pen and filled up a tub of water for him, as soon as I did that he hopped on the side of it and started drinking. I got some goldfish out of my stock tank and dropped 2 into his tub and he dove his long neck down into the water and when he came up he had a fish stabbed on his hook, he did the same thing with the other fish too. I need to buy some more goldfish so he can eat, but I dont know what he is.
Here are a few pictures of him......
Look at the sharp beak.
81023_005.jpg

81023_008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a Cormorant. A very common fishing bird here in Florida. Looks like it could be a young one as well. Eats all types of fish and eels and water snakes. Gold fish are OK for the time being but if you are seriously considering keeping this bird you might want to get something that is more appropriate for him such as bass or crappie. Also they will eat ALOT! You would be surprised the size fish that guy will be able to swallow whole.

looks like an anhinga to me. also anhinga are the only birds that hunt by stabbing fish with its bill.
(i know my birds vary well)
wink.png

Last edited:
That thing is creepy looking! Glad my ducks dont come with harpoons built in like that guy!! EEk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom