What is this?

the coon picture really helps. coyote from the size I would say. Though could still be a coy-dog.

If you say you have wolves, and then coyotes, I am led to believe that it is a Wolf/ Coyote cross. I would steer clear of those creatures. They are mighty dangerous, with the determination of a coyote, and the brute strength of a wolf. Look up the article in National Geographic for input. It is safe to say that all you critters must be locked up, as well as yourself, safe and secure at night.

JK

I've seen a lot of wolves, coyotes and dogs of many kinds....I'd not even venture a guess just from this photo, it walking away like that, but given how much more common dogs are than either wolves or coyotes, I'd place dog first likely.. Looking at the picture again, editing this comment in here, i'm going to settle on dog for one big reason, that's the end of the tail ihas an upward curl...wolves and coyote tails are absolutely straight or a smooth sickle curve throughout the length in some wolves...no curl toward the end like that. Many Malamutes and huskies have such a curl toward the end when they have their tail relaxed, dropped, not up over their backs.
As for the single foot walking, many dogs DO walk single foot..as for the broad jaw someone mentioned being wild, no plenty of dogs with that kind of jaw, Malamutes, for one. The round end brush tail, several dog breeds have that, again, Malamutes do. Lots of people mistake Malamutes for wolves or coyotes, even shoot them as such. I had a neighbor a few years ago, didn't know me well, or that I had an old Malamute dog, actually shoot at MY DOG while it was ON MY PROPERTY! Because he looked out across his own pasture, saw it in my pasture, which it wasn't usually, since i kept it mostly a house dog, and thinking it a wolf, shot at it, thinking I'd be perfectly happy for him to shoot a wolf on my place as well! He was already taking second aim when i cam flying out my back door screaming to my dog to 'come!' I knew the man was too far away to hear me...thank God the man saw me and that the dog was coming to me, becasue he was already lining up the cross hairs for another shot! That would have broken my heart, that was the last of my Malamutes I'd had so many years, a sweet 12 yr old dog that would never have hurt the man's cows and calve, had been around livestock all his life. But having Malamutes all those years, I KNEW that danger, many are mistaken for wolves.
Lots of Malamutes and huskies in wisconson, Btw, that's snow country.....lots of sledding and sled racing activities in wisconson.

Last edited:
Btw, that neighbor, who before then i'd only spoken to casually over the fence a few times, saw occasionally at like the feed store, felt so bad, when he realized i was grabbing that dog and walked over there, he was literally shaking, realizing what he had just almost done....ever since, he stays on top of keeping our border fences tip top, even it its my horse that pushed a wire, has gone out of his way to watch my place, generally, 'suck up', lol! He's really a good man, and learned he didn't know as much what a wolf looks like as he thought he did!

Last edited:
They're finding the wolf.coyote crosses are happening in some areas, not all...even if they are in this person or others areas, from what i've seen and read and heard, they'd not be identifiable in a poor picuture like this...even biologists and wild life experts generally can't make that ID without actually examining the animal, things like teeth counts and measurements, not just a simple sighting thing. And, now, they are even using DNA analysis to look at the problem. So coyote/wolf here would be a really long shot, and not something evident in this picture...my best suggestion to the OP is keep that cam out there, see if it shows up again with a better shot, better angles, to figure out what it is.

If you say you have wolves, and then coyotes, I am led to believe that it is a Wolf/ Coyote cross. I would steer clear of those creatures. They are mighty dangerous, with the determination of a coyote, and the brute strength of a wolf. Look up the article in National Geographic for input. It is safe to say that all you critters must be locked up, as well as yourself, safe and secure at night.

JK

coy-dog wouldn't be a stretch though. :) they are pretty dang common all over, with some people breeding them intentionally.

I combined the 2 photos to see the size difference in the coon and dog and i have to say i am going with dog now, i think it is to small for a wolf .
i am also amazed the photos are almost identical backgrounds even after 7 days of winter weather almost looks frozen in time, pretty cool.

I combined the 2 photos to see the size difference in the coon and dog and i have to say i am going with dog now, i think it is to small for a wolf .
i am also amazed the photos are almost identical backgrounds even after 7 days of winter weather almost looks frozen in time, pretty cool.

With that little trick, the critter looks too big to be a 35 - 40 lb coyote I expect to see. If racoon is about 15 to 20 lbs, then canid looks three to four times that in weight.

Back
Top Bottom