What is this?

Looks like it might be a Shepherd. The tail might be a bit short for it though...unless it is of German line. I'm not sure.

Looks like a wolf, but hard to say for sure since we can't see it's head. Any neighbors with big dogs near by?

Could be a wolf, could be a husky, or a husky cross. Siberian huskies come in that light color. It doesn't look like a German shepherd to me, but it could be a shepherd mix.

I could be a coyote. It looks heavy for a coyote, but it is cold and it could be a coyote with a large winter coat.

There is nothing in the photo to compare size.

My dad is a big hunter and knows all there is to know about wild animals. He took one look and instantly said it's a coyote. Said the tail was a dead give away because it's perfectly round like a hair brush and the foot placement straight in front of the other. Dogs dont walk like this.

My dad is a big hunter and knows all there is to know about wild animals. He took one look and instantly said it's a coyote. Said the tail was a dead give away because it's perfectly round like a hair brush and the foot placement straight in front of the other. Dogs dont walk like this.

several dog breeds single track, the belgian malinois, newfoundland, schnauzers, dobermans, etc etc - the only difference is that they usually only do it at faster speeds. Poorly bred dogs will do it at a walk though.
Not saying that the pic isn't probably a coyote or coy-dog mix.

Trapped coyote all over the U.S. and Canada, 46 years as a game warden, 10 years as Park Ranger, ate coyote for breakfast. Retired in the Hills of KY where we breed our own wildlife.
celebrate.gif

Thanks for all the responses. The picture was taken in central Wisconsin. At first I thought for sure it was a wolf, but I'm still not sure. I did take a walk in the woods today and found dog like tracks, except they were about 4" across. We have been having trouble with wolves in the area, but then we also have coyotes running around. I am posting a picture of a raccoon that is taken in the same place, maybe it will give a sense of size. Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom